Head is off but no shaving cream available

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Head is off but no shaving cream available
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

WD-40 and carb cleaner ok, or would that washout by cylinders and oil rings?Headoff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Use a plexiiglas scraper and some lacquer thinner to remove the carbon. Then vacuum the cylinders. Clean the head gasket surfaces with Scotcbrite and lacquer thinner. The valves need to be lapped and gapped too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

It would be good to hone the cylinders and replace rings. also replace old valves and grind valves and seats. If you still have the solid lifters, grind the stems to proper clearance using the piston height method. This method can be found on the book "engine" published by the club. Discard that old head gasket and replace it. Use a bottoming tap on the threads and if the studs look rusty, replace them. Blow out the bolt holes with compressed air.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Sorry, instead of studs, bolts.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Unless I'm wrong, it appears he's got just one two piece valve in it. And I might be wrong, they might have made two piece valves without the holes on top. I guess I've never heard of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

How did that old song go? Oh yeah:

Shaving cream, be nice and clean, shave every day and you'll always look keen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

Uh oh

Different plug thread pitch on aluminum Z head?

I always put a few drops of thin oil around the base of each plug and I am seeing bubbles immediately, which means compression is leaking out of each plug at the threads.

I'm afraid to tighten more. Is a washer needed?

Warming it up with a drive before re-tightening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

Chris,
Aluminium heads are re-tightened when the engine is stone cold.
I'm assuming the plugs in the new head are still pipe thread and not modern, then some have used plumbers thread tape to stop compression leak.
I use Permatex, Aluminium Anti-Seize lubricant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Thank You, Frank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 06:38 am:

Chris, remember that you have re-tighten aluminum heads 3-4 times or more when "stone cold" to get them to where they need to be. I do my aluminum heads at 45 lbs/torque. I go through the torque sequence until the head bolts don't tighten any further that specified.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:43 am:

Ok
Thank You

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration