FJ - Tips For Avoiding Tow Vehicle & Trailer Theft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FJ - Tips For Avoiding Tow Vehicle & Trailer Theft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

What I have learned:

Send prospective thieves to your neighbor ...

Most thefts of tow vehicles & trailers are random - there is no target other than the tow vehicle and/or the trailer which are primarily used to manufacture/transport drugs - cash - contraband.

Thieves will want to get in & out as quick as possible - that is why a tow vehicle is often taken just to get a trailer.

Make things difficult.

Flash = Cash

If you have a high dollar tow vehicle and/or an expensive looking enclosed trailer - chances are what is inside is a nice bonus.

Staying at a motel ?

Park where you can see your tow vehicle & trailer from your room.

Park in a manner that the rear door is blocked - you can back up to another vehicle or an obstruction.

Disable your tow vehicle - alarms are great but if you can install an ignition kill switch and/or pull a fuse that kills power to your ignition switch - that is better.

Block your tow vehicle in the front with another vehicle & disable it as well.

Traveling in a group ?

Circle the wagons ...

Park so your trailers are back to back - park so your rigs are side by side going in opposite directions - then angle the tow vehicle towards your buddys' trailer to block the rear door.

A lot of groups designate a zone - then members take shifts throughout the motel stay to stand guard with the tow rig & trailer.

A warning sticker helps ...

Storing your trailer ?

A removable coupler helps ...

Putting the tongue jack inside the trailer helps ...

Removing one or more wheels or booting them with a wheel lock helps.

Most effective:

Back your trailer up against an obstruction like a wall or perpendicular vehicle - then place another perpendicular vehicle in front & disable it.

Most important thing - make your tow vehicle & trailer difficult to steal - send the potential thief to an easier target.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

After a friends truck was stolen recently i started playing with ideas for disable switches.
1 I came up with was a second "dimmer" switch in the upper floor board that you would have to push to "Bright" to get power to the starter solenoid.It would interrupt the wire from the key switch to the solenoid.. When parking, "dim" the switch and no power could get thru to the solenoid.

On a vehicle with a electric fuel pump you could cut power to the fuel pump with this system. But the thief would be able to run down your battery leaving you stranded when you got back to the car.

My friends f350 pickup was stolen in less than 3 minutes with no key in it and doors locked.
Fellow who stole it then put in a new key switch and such and was caught about a month later because his girlfriend got mad at him.
So lesson learned, if you drive a stolen truck,don't tick off your girlfriend, you just might get caught!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:25 am:

Even with a mechanical Fuel pump you could put in a shut off valve even an electrical solenoid valve. Whatever you do you are buying time and that is something most criminals don't have they will find an easier target. I always say "Security is by it's very nature inconvenient,how much inconvenience are you willing to endure to keep what is yours!" (I am also a locksmith) whatever you use to secure a stored trailer is going to cost you a little time to use it. Mine is stored at my house so I have a 55 gal drum filled with cement with a mobile home tie-down directly under the center of my axles I have a cable that goes around the axles and is then locked to the "eye" I use cable because it is harder to cut with bolt cutters than chain. this system requires me to crawl under the trailer and takes 2 minutes but that is what I am willing to put up with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I just installed a gps locating device from Rhino Fleet Tracking on my enclosed trailer. Hard to see from the ground. Self contained--4 lithium batteries, life 3-5 years. I receive a report where it is at twice a day. If the trailer moves, the reports come in every 10 minutes. Receive on a map app, text message, and email. $10.00 a month after set up.
I like the idea of a switch on my truck to disable the fuel system. May install that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

1. If can, back trailer against a wall, big tree etc to prevent trailer to be moved back.
2. I use a hinden military grade starter/battery disconnect on truck.
3. My trailer is a Work and Play trailer. Live in the front and store in the back.
4. Have a siren device that sounds if current is broke between truck and trailer.
5. I camp at a KOA, Good Sam's etc as much as possible. If on the road, I will stay at a Walmart parking lot. Some times, small towns will let you stay at a park or fair grounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

When I towed my T to its new home I had to stay in motels during the trip. At night I pulled the rotor off the distributor of the tow vehicle (1953 Chevy truck) and removed all trailer wheel lug nuts except one. A pain, especially when I kept cranking the truck until my wife said "Didn't you...."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Another sneaky way is to swap the coil wire and a spark plug wire connector at the distributor cap. The engine will fire on only one cylinder, enough to keep the thief trying and drawing attention to himself, but not enough to start the car.

Of course, he may run the battery down, and even if he doesn't, you have to remember to switch the wires back before you start the car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Don't advertise what you carry.A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 01:40 am:

I saw one that I thought was a great idea. Guy had a trailer wiring harness with both male ends. That made the harness and chains removable. I saw them on Ebay last year. A great way to draw attention is a trailer with no lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:56 am:

I don't think Mack is getting the credit he deserves for his idea. It is perfect. The thief couldn't even run your battery down cranking like they could with the fuel pump disconnected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I drive a '49 Chevy half-ton and was talking to a friend about how a thief might not know how to start the truck and, if they did, they would not know how to drive a three-on-the- tree or any other stick shift. He told me and showed me a trick that his dad used when the truck and us were young; he reached in and unscrewed the starter pedal and told me to "put it in my pocket."

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Ya, I like that one too. The dimmer switch one.
I have put a spark plug wire in the center of the distributor cap and the coil wire where it came from several times.
I have also replaced the coil wire with piece of vacuum hose with an inch of 1/4 inch bolt stuck in each end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:03 am:

That vacuum line in place of the coil wire was one of the things they did to us on a test in my auto tech class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:17 am:

Ya, I like that one too. The dimmer switch one.
I have put a spark plug wire in the center of the distributor cap and the coil wire where it came from several times.
I have also replaced the coil wire with piece of vacuum hose with an inch of 1/4 inch bolt stuck in each end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:30 am:

I have gutted the cigarette lighter and put a pushbutton in the bottom. Have to push the lighter in to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Anyone have any thoughts or tricks on either a Ford or Dodge diesel engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Dodge no problem remove the fuel pump relay from the power distribution center under the hood. Ford depends on what year and engine, the PSD(7.3L) has a mechanical fuel pump but it has a solenoid to switch from front to rear tank and removing power from that should stop fuel form leaving either tank (that is just a guess so I'm Not 100% on that) later fords have an electrical fuel pump so removing the relay from the power distribution box would do the same as the dodge. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Back in the late 60's/early 70's when Hershey was fairly new my grandfather and friends used to travel down with a big trailer to buy and sell. They'd rotate shifts. One guy would sleep in the truck with a shotgun. Maybe not the most comfortable method but effective. Of course this also doesn't work if you're travelling alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Matthew,

I believe that when you are traveling in a group that is by far the best way to protect your tow vehicles & trailers.

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration