The Driven Gear...How do I get this bloody thing off?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The Driven Gear...How do I get this bloody thing off?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 04:51 am:

I've been trying for a couple of days now to remove the driven gear from off my transmission...with no success...I mean it's not even a little bit intimidated by any of my pullers or colorful language I throw at it.

My question is, how is the best way to get this stubborn bugger off? so I can pull the drums apart. It seems there are ample video's on how to put the transmission together, but none of the show you how to take it apart. I was hoping that Mike Bender would have one such video, but no such luck, just how to put the assembly back together again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:23 am:

There is a special Ford puller for that gear - it's the only thing that I could ever make work. You need to locate one of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:25 am:

Martin, Do you have a Ford 5Z326 puller. This tool is made specially for removing the driven gear. Stubborn gears may require some heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Martin, this is my weapon of choice. The screw in centre piece is an hydraulic ram. I have a button which sits in the end of the trans drum shaft, and when the screw at the top is wound in, a great deal of force is gently applied. I have yet to find a gear which will mot succumb.

This kit is an English Sykes Pickavant item of excellent quality, bought at a swap meet. There are cheaper kits available which will do the job.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Martin even with the correct Ford puller the driven gear can be hard to pull. The Ford puller shows up fairly often on Ebay and sometimes on the classifieds on this website. They will run around 30-60 dollars or so.

You have to really 'get on it' to remove the gear once you get the transmission drums stable.

I use a 2-3 ft. cheater bar (pipe) on the end of the correct size wrench to get it to start moving.

Get you a piece of pipe that will go over you wrench and it will move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:36 am:

See if I can post the one picture found. The transmission is below a 12 ton press with a shaft running through the support block and a clamp on gear puller. I have never had to use heat on many driven gears pulled and nothing flies apart. pulling a driven gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:20 am:

With all due respect to Paul, if you have the Ford puller or I suppose any other puller, put pressure on the gear and apply some heat to the gear away from the teeth and the gear will pop loose. It's surprising how little heat it takes to pop one loose and you don't have to abuse the puller to get it moving. Just one other way to get it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:33 am:

You can purchase a driven gear and clutch drum puller from the vendors, I have one and it works good.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:58 am:

This discussion reminds me of the time I was trying to pull the front hub off of a Hyundai Sonata so I could change a half shaft.
I spent days and tried everything I had in my tool box but it would not budge.

My son came home, smiled, left, and returned with the right tool.
He removed the hub in about 10 minutes.

There is nothing like having the right tool!

BTW It is still in my tool box and I haven't used it a second time but if I had not been so cheap I would have saved many days and a bunch of nasty words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Nice puller Allan----I have a file drawer full of pullers but they always have to have some modification or tweaking to get them to work as wanted.---agree Fred have to make a puller for removing a ball joint on my Toyota without destroying the dust cover a pickling fork will do. The special tool from Toyota is expensive.
The way I look at pulling a driven gear is you need a press to put it back and the press works for many other T jobs. I bought ten transmissions it took a little over an hour to dismantle all of them with no hiccups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

I use this one ,verry easy.
163S
164S
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Thanks for the ideas and advice, wouldn't ya know there would be some special damn puller for this bugger...out of all of the ones posted here, Anthonie pictures puller looks the easiest to use and the simplest design, but I don't have one of those, nor do I have a 4 ton press either for Paul's method.
Rick, I had on order for nearly 3 months one of those repro Steven's clutch basket pullers but they never came in and Lang's couldn't tell me when they would be in either, so I cancelled the backorder on it and went with a cheap Harbor Freight two jaw puller...which worked. Besides, I can't for the life of me figure how that thing would work for pulling this gear and Lang doesn't sell any puller that specifically is for this stubborn little gear.

I wanted to pull off the driven gear so I could examine the drums more closely. This is my old transmission, I put a new one in my car, but I thought since I had this one laying around, maybe I could pull it apart so I could get a better look at the drums so as to draw them better, I think I'll just work around it...unless I can find some way to get that little gear off.

Would a heavy duty three jaw puller (that isn't hydraulic) work if I applied a little heat to the gear? If so, I'll try that, I've got one of those. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

I had trouble with one a while back. I took it to Jack Daron's and had it off in minutes. Thanks Jack.

I decided I needed to be able to do it myself so I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of their big hydraulic pullers. It is too big. The jaws won't fit between the gears. Oh well, I'll use it some time - or pass it on to the kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

There is a special ford puller mine got loaned out and never returned oh well I'm over that but I found 3 jaw puller works good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:56 am:

I am surprised no one in your area has not offered to pull it for you. If you ever find yourself near Folsom, give me a buzz and I'll do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

When you were down last week, I would have loaned you mine, but you didn't say anything. I've had it for over 50 years, and have rebuilt many transmissions with it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration