OT - it's almost time to head north to Minnesota (or south, east or west)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - it's almost time to head north to Minnesota (or south, east or west)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

We're meeting informally for an Early Ford Registry "pre" pre-tour at Paynesville, MN, in advance of the New London to New Brighton (Antique Car Run) tour. Some of us will begin arriving Thu. evening, Aug 6th. On the following Monday we'll transition to the The Antique Car Run tour in New London.

All Model Ts and brass cars are welcome at our EFR gathering, and the Antique Car Run pre-tours accept pre 1916 cars. The Antique Car Run pre-tours run Tuesday through Friday, Aug 9th through the 12th. I hope we see many forum members there.

Below is a six minute video, with period photos and music for the first minute and a half, then pics of early Fords and other cars over the last several summers:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8x9m6rzx1i2bjg/Video%20Jul%2019%2C%209%2036%2028%20AM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Enjoyed it, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Thanks Rob. I also enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Had no idea there were so many Model K s still out there. Some'r red and some'r blue..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Gary and George,
My pleasure.
George,
There will be three K on these tours, two tourings and our roadster. Colors of surviving K I'm aware of are red, white and blue. Originally K could be ordered in "any color or combination of colors, according to Ford advertising.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Rob, So how many running "K",s are there? And how many complete cars? And maybe piles of parts? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Scott,

I believe 23 or 24 complete cars, and 5 engines still exist (that we know of). 2 to 2.5 percent seems like a good percentage to have survived. I've read that about a 1 percent survival rate for early cars is normal. I suppose it varies widely.

There are five "running" Model K that I' aware of, although I think many of the 23/24 would be runnable if they were liberated from their museums. I'm happy to be responsible for getting two of the three that tour back on the road, our roadster and touring car now residing in Michigan. The real work has been done by Dean Yoder, who brought both cars "back to life."

Other MTFCA forum contributors have also helped, including Stan Howe (two carbs) and Mike Bender (boring, pistons and valves), Russ Furstnow (speedometer), and probably a few people I'm forgetting at this moment.

Of course, you (Scott) have helped me understand the strengths of the Ford planetary transmission.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Rob,
What year are you planning to hit Paynesville on Thursday August 6th? If you're actually coming on Thursday August 4th of this year, I might be able to join you for a tour on Friday.

I have to work on Saturday and Sunday in order to have the rest of the week off for the NLNB tours. If you guys are touring around Paynesville on Friday, I'd probably drive my '14 over. Paynesville is only about 50 miles from my place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

A most excellent video. I really enjoyed it. Rob, I didn't know you could sing so well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Eric,
Yes, Thu the 4th. :-)

I know of at least four cars that should be in by Thu evening. I expect Friday to be the first day of forays into the countryside. Hope to see you then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Denny,
That wouldn't be good (me singing). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

After a couple of beers you should sing fine. It mellows the vocal cords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

The audience better be having beers too. Deadens the ear drums......

I can tell this is going to be a good Minnesota trip.

While we're talking about the north country, a quiz. This photo was taken on a cold Iowa day when our Model K arrived at Dean's farm.

Which guy is Canadian, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 08:35 am:

Rob,It seem's strange to see you in anything but a K or 6 40 Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:35 am:

So Rob, ...... from your initial post do I understand my '14 Ford runabout would be welcome on the NLNB tour ? This time of year it's 106 degrees here in south Texas so we're going on a cruise to Glacier Bay next week. MN next year would be a better idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Bud,
We still have three T and an N, in addition to the 6-40. However, most of my time is spent with the K anymore.

George,
Yes, the pre-tours are open to brass cars (pre-16). The 120 mile run on Saturday is limited to 1908 and earlier 4 cylinder (and up :-)) and 1915 and earlier 1 and 2 cylinder cars. Steam, electrics and motorcycles up to 1915 are allowed on the big run (Saturday) too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration