Starter Shaft Runout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starter Shaft Runout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

I have never been pleased with the performance of the starter on my truck. I read on the forum that a bent shaft can cause problems. I placed the armature on v blocks and measured the runout using a dial indicator. I got .020. According to the experts on the forum that is too much.
I set the armature on v blocks in my press and set up the dial indicator to show progress.
Then I got cold feet.
How far should push down on the armature.
I have a 40 Ton press so I know that I could end up with a pretzel if I am not carefull.
I am hoping to hear from those who have done this before with success.
Thanking you in advance
Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:55 am:

It is trial and error, there is some spring back, but not a lot. I think a overkill. I put mine in a jig my fil built and use a piece of pipe the right inside diameter and pull down or pry up. The can be bent in a S, so you need to check it several places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Thank you Andy.
I am suprised at how much spring back I get.
I have a dial micrometer set up so I can track the progress.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration