Installing seat upholstery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Installing seat upholstery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Does anyone have a good video or photos of the best way to install the rear seat upholstery? I got the correct seat upholstery for my '14 the other day, but it didn't have installation instructions. I know you're supposed to compress the springs, and I'm certain I've seen someone else post a picture of the best way to compress the springs but I can't remember where I saw it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

I'm in the same boat with my '24 and am looking for the same videos. It might have been on Mac's website. I will post what I find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

http://youtu.be/bsO_5jQfDZ8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Brennan on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

I used plastic ties on each spring - lots of ties and time, was able to compress spring several inches- put upholestery around edge of springs, cut ties came out great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

https://youtu.be/9fHvyfIGhTg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Those videos are great, but they both only deal with installing the backrest, not the seat cushion itself. I've looked at Classtique's site and they don't have anything pertaining to the seat cushions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

I would do the seat bottom before tackling the seat back, the bottom is easier to do in my opinion and will be good practice before you tackle the seat back.

Optional - If you want to add an extra layer of protection between the springs and the upholstery, first hog ring a layer of heavy burlap onto the upper side of the seat springs.

Lay the upholstery material upside down on a clean table. Lay the seat spring upside down onto the upholstery material. You may have to use a home-made spring compressor to mash the spring down enough to be able to pull up and attach the front, back, and sides of the upholstery to the bottom of the seat springs. The original springs had a long metal clamping strip for the upholstery, but often it is missing, if so use hog rings to attach the upholstery to the bottom or the seat spring frame.

The link below shows a few pictures of some folks upholstering a seat bottom with their home-made compressor.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/244156.html?1320064262

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks for that video, Mark, that compressor looks like something I can rig up at home! I'm only doing the rear seat, as the backrests are still original and in pretty good shape and the front is usable until I decide to replace it in the future.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration