What are These Worth?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What are These Worth?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Now that I own two model t's I need to be able to provide upkeep at a reasonable cost without breaking my families budget. So far I've done good by selling all my grandfathers model t parts that were not for my two cars.

These Dayton wheels are the last parts I have, I've been holding on to them because I know they are worth a good deal and thought they would look good on the coupelet.

I've decided to keep my model t's just has Henry built them as much as possible so I've decided to sell the Dayton's.

What's a good price for five rims, four hubs (two front, two rear) and the locking caps with wrench? They need to be checked for trueness and then media blasted and painted.

Dayton Wire Wheel

Here's a picture of one of the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Man I'd like to own them for my open runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Size?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/640946.html?1462820486

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

You can get more if they are restored and ready to go.

Without tires boots and tubes, start at $4,000 restored and $2,000 rough. It's an easy fix. Tires, tubes and boots will cost $1000 and add $1000.

It's under $1000 to get them ready to go so you will make more if you fixem up than if you just cut them lose.

clean them up and give the wheels and hubs a coat of prime and polish any brass to perfection. Let the customer select the finished color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

My advice would be to not sell Grandpa's Dayton wheels that he was thrilled to purchase. Work on them one at a time and put them on the Couplet. It will be worth more and you will still have the original wheels. In the future the gain will be way more than what you will sell them for today.

Something like those at this point in time might look good for the cash but once gone you will never have them again. I hope you keep the wheels and sell something else, a complete set is hard to assemble.

I would never sell those but instead work on them a little at a time and put them on the T and never look back...in a a few years from now you will regret it if you sell them.

A little overtime work or sell the old VCR or the old dog house...painless, but something like those you part with and they are gone forever to never be replaced.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Im with Tim. I sold a truck me and my dad fixed up because I needed money. He's gone, the trucks gone and I'm still broke. Wish I had it back but no way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

I agree with Frank. Four hubs, good caps is $1000 any day. If those wheels have good rims and spokes, the hubs and caps are ok, $2000 would be stealing them. Tim's advice is good, unless you really need the bucks I would hang on to them. They will be hard to replace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

I think they are 30 x 3-1/2. Not going to buy tubes, tires that defeats the purpose. Yes I know these were valued by my gpa. So valuable that they sat for fifty years before I got them.

His cars are their upkeep are more important then s a set of aftermarket rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Rims and spokes are all fine, just slight surface rust. Hubs are in excellent condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:52 am:

Phillip, if you start at the price of equivalent McLaren wheels of $3504 then go from there.
Yours are genuine old time accessories, you have the four hubs and the caps. McLarens need a set of hubs and caps in addition to the above $3504.

It would not cost a lot to have them media blasted and primed ready for the customer.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Thanks for the info Allan. The price of the McLaren's will give me a good solid price to start at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

I've had inquiries about the rims, I've sent all an email regarding status. And will keep all informed.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Phil: I make replacement hubs, hubcaps, name badges and wrenches for the Dayton Wire wheels. I also have them on my own cars. Yours are 30 x 3 1/2, 48 spoke wheels. To answer your question the set is worth $5000 if all in good shape and in the condition they are in.
What you have is a rare find and a treasure. You should keep them and sell only if you need food for the table.
Dayton wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

If I had those you couldn't pry them out of my hands!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Phil I would agree with the rest don't sell unless you really need the money.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration