Rebuilding my rear axle .... mining for parts...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rebuilding my rear axle .... mining for parts...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

I started the final push in the rebuild of my rear axle for the 27 Sport Touring. The rear end was supposed to have been rebuilt when the car was restored about 15 years ago. Maybe it was taken apart and cleaned up, but it was not rebuilt. I did not get any pics of the tear down, (sorry :-() It was very clean and had fresh gear oil, but that was about it. It had babbit thrust washers and everything was worn out. The gear teeth were pitted and the differential housings had excess wear everywhere it could wear. The only good thing in it was the 2 inner hyatt bearings had about .002 to .003 wear. The outer bearings had .010 to 012 wear. and the axles had another .010 wear at the outer end and were pitted. This all shows you can not really trust what you are told about things ... :-( :-(. I bought new axles, and I have a NOS set of ring and pinion gears. I had some nice hyatt bearings in my stash with .002 to .003 wear on them so I have a good set of four useable bearings. I also bought new sleeves and the other misc parts as well as new brass thrust washers. But today I had to go mining for good differential housings as mine were worn out everywhere. I have been taking apart rear ends for years to get the two good inner bearings, and had a large stash of differential assemblies. I usually just split the axle housings and remove the two inner bearings. Then for years I have been just standing the axle/differential assemblies in the corner of the parts house. So today I got extremely dirty and greasy taking all the assemblies apart. I found a almost perfect, like new assembly in the pile. :-). Almost all the axles are junk, but the axle gears on most of them look good. Now that everything is apart, I can access the individual parts easier and they store so much easier. It is strange, but the greasier of the parts are not always the best parts. Some of the rusty, crappy looking parts are actually in really nice shape. So all I have to do now is remove the axle gears that match my good differential cases and spider gears and Im ready to start putting it all back together. I have rebuilt rear ends before but I want to ask and make sure that all the parts inside a rear end are interchangeable. The only difference I am aware of is that the half of the differential case that the ring gear bolts to, uses either bolts or studs. ??? In my old age I sometimes forget things .. :-) :-( I still have 19 more complete rear ends to take apart, but I have had enough grease for today ....

My rear end parts and tools

My homemade rear axle/differential holder really got a work out today ...

Some of todays parts mining.

One other thing of note. I have probably taken apart close to 30 (or more) rear ends thru the years and so far I have only found three brass thrust washers. The rest were babbit or pieces of babbit. and I have only found 3 of the little fiber washers that go between the axles in all my years of messing with the Ts. Two of the fiber washers were found today. I have also found that about 1/4 of the assemblies have cotter pins or nails and no wire. Almost all of the assemblies with the cotter pins/nails have loose bolts in them. have fun and be safe Donnie Brown .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Donnie, pleas keep us posted as the rebuild moves along. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Donnie except for the earliest differentials with the riveted ring gear everything interchanges from about 1913 to 1927. I recommend you get a Fun Projects pinion bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Thanks Royce, I thought so, but Im not too proud to ask .... just in case ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

It seems that even when everything else if junk, the spider and its little gears are usually pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:58 am:

Don't complain! At least you are finding old rear ends to tear down. I've only picked up a couple up here in the Model T "dead zone". On the other hand I've actually taken apart one of the rear ends that had replacement babbit washers in it. Nice shape, but now hanging on the wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:24 am:

The Fun Projects pinion bearing is a real improvement. I have them in 2 of my cars.

Glad to see you are building a differential with the best parts! A lot of T's are built that way.

Looks like you have a good selection of axles. I have found that the gears are usually pretty good. Looks like your are pretty good also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

John, There are a couple axles that would work on a low budget project, but the rest are probably only good for the gears or the doodle bug/tractor conversion guys could get a lot of use from them. There are three of the differential housings that look like good candidates for use in a good rebuild. The rest are low budget rebuild or doodle bug parts. I hardly ever throw anything away. Someone can usually use some of it... I do plan on using a fun projects pinion bearing set-up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration