WARFORD Transmission: Installation and gear ratio

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: WARFORD Transmission: Installation and gear ratio
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

What is required to install an older aluminum Warford in a 1927 Ford Roadster? What difference will I see when it is installed. What rear end is recommended? What extra parts do I need? Does anyone have photographs of installation? Thank you for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Daniel, you will need to shorten the driveshaft and tube 12", also the radius rods something close to that amount. Since you will then have both an overdrive and underdrive, I recommend using the stock 11:40 rear end gears. Aluminum Warfords have no provision for a support crossmember, some have used one but it will not be needed with your 1927 engine. The extra gear choices will give you much more flexibility and and also speed, if you want it. There is a trade off: it will take some practice to learn to shift it on the fly, and you had better have brakes on the rear wheels if you blow a shift and get stuck in neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:43 am:

I didn't like the idea of all that unsupported weight hanging off the back of my 26 transmission. I installed one of these to just hold the weight. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/warford-transmission-support

Also when you install the drive shaft tube, put it in upside down so the grease hole is at the bottom. I use a cup with a Zerk fitting installed to get grease to the u-joint. Also the drive shaft bushing is a zerk as well on my car. Gravity won't assist in getting grease to these areas.

To fit the radius rods, cut and slide one end into the other. Get the rear end assembly square and weld the radius rods at the new joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:44 am:

THis is an interesting thread for me, with my cast-iron Warford installation coming up soon.

Where is the best place to shorten the driveshaft tube? Any photos or tips on this procedure will be much appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Chris, some Tubes are stepped and so are easy to take 12 inches out of them. Some are tapered all of the way and are more difficult to cut on the slope. The drive shaft must be shortened and you decide which end to cut off and re-machine as it was. The radius rods need to be shortened too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Don't the tapered ones have a straight section at the rear? When you cut and weld them make sure the rear flange is indexed to the radius rods mounts and rear end housing. There was one on ebay for a while that who ever did it forgot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

I cut the shaft and machine a new front end. Takes a lathe and a mill. I use a tool post grinder to give a nice finish for the bushing. Never cut and weld a shaft. Just don't, it is asking for vibration and worse. On the tube I cut it just forward of the rear flange and weld it there. Both pieces are trued in the lathe before welding. Works for all years of tubes and preserves the stepped look of the late ones. I put the tubes in my big lathe and true up the rear face of the flange if needed, usually it is not. It takes about 4 hours to do both, at least that is what we are charging. On the radius rods it is best to build up the rear end first and shorten them to match. Some of them can be cut and telescoped together then welded.
A Warford will not bother a 26/27 engine with the bolted hogshead. It is the earlier engines that are affected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Erik, do you have a picture of your lathe set up for the tube? PK

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration