Bendix removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bendix removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Trying to remove the starter drive assembly. I removed the 1st screw (closest to the seat) Also called the Bendix head spring screw. I was expecting to now be able to slide the whole assembly off the shaft. Nope, does not move. The starter drive head is stuck on the shaft.
does this have to be forced to get it off?

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

The drive head is keyed to the shaft, so you may have to use a small puller. There is a special puller for this, but a generic puller will also work.

pic

Be careful not to lose the key! It has a nasty habit of popping out of the shaft slot and jumping into the starter hole.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/660765.html?1469027539

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

You'll need a puller. I have found that a battery clamp puller works. I have an older one that is bent steel not cast that does the job. The end piece is keyed on, don't loose the key. You have to remove that key before you can take the rest off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I've never needed one, but Ford had a small puller that is one of the Z-5-??? tool numbers to remove the bendix. There is not much room in there, but I'm sure a small puller would work too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

WOW - three people typing at once... The first Mark has the puller I was talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Fantastic response!
Thanks guys, one and all.
I have an assortment of pullers, I'll see if one works.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Not just three people but the 3 Mark's! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Success!
Used this to get er done.

Thanks again!
Rodpuller

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration