Bendix install?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bendix install?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

It must be my day for problems.
When trying to slide the Bendix assembly onto the starter shaft, it will go as far as covering the key slot about 3/4's then stops.
Anyone have a trick to getting it to continue? I put gear oil in the assembly shaft and on the starter shaft, didn't help.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

I've never had that problem, but perhaps there is a burr on the shaft near the key slot, or perhaps the key is not staying fully seated in its slot as you try to slide the Bendix assembly into place.

Take the assembly back off, check for burrs, smooth any off, then take a break and come back to it again with a fresh start.

Again, be careful not to let the key pop out and jump into the starter hole!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

Yes, There is a chance that your starter shaft is bent slightly or has a burr on it. Mine would not go on so I got my half inch reamer out of the tool box and held it with vice grips. I put the Bendix assembly in a vice and proceeded to ream out the hole. The assembly slipped right on the shaft as it should.

You might make the hole a little bit too large but the locking cap screws and little Woodruff key will hold it together.

Good Luck !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

I got it on by lightly tapping on the end with a socket protecting the fitting. However now when I put key in the slot, and slide on the head and then rotate it so the holes in the head and the shaft line up, they don't line up with the Bendix spring angle thingie. Do you have to forcibly rotate the spring to get it to line up with the other two holes?
I did mention that this is my day for problems, didn't I.

again many thanks
Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Sounds like your spring may have twisted and taken a set due to abuse in the past (like trying to start with the spark advanced). The holes in the spring ends should line up, like in this picture of a new spring:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5022.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Mark,
It is a new spring, in fact it is the complete set.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/starter-drive-assembly

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Hmmm, I'm at a loss then. I don't suppose it would hurt to twist the spring a bit to get things to line up.

Can anyone else comment on whether they have had this problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

yes you may have to wind up the spring a little. It should be very close to fitting when you assemble it. I first put the front cap screw through the spring hole and fastened it to the starter shaft. I had to use a taper punch and insert it through the mounting hole in the spring and stick the end of the punch into the threaded mounting hole at the end of the Bendix and pull it around with that tapered punch. Then I held the spring there and inserted the cap screw with the tang in the rear of the Bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Here's where its at, about 3/8" from matching up.
Frank, Ill try to "spring" stretch it into position.

Thanks Guys.
Rodholes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

good luck with strong fingers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Halleluiah!!!!
After 7 hours
multiple missteps
lots of help from MTFCA
a bunch of scrapped knuckles
some finger exersizezing
And clouds and more clouds of blue smoke (no children allowed)

I have the whole thing installed!!!!

Tomorrow I'll close it up and with much prayer see if it works.

For now it's time to lower the blood pressure.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Congratulations and good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Sorry but I am going to say this; there a rotating sleeve on the end of the bendex, inside the spring. When you install the end piece it fit's into a slot in that piece. You should not have to wind the spring up unless the sleeve is jammed. With the end piece installed with out the bolt you should be able to rotate the whole spring/bendix assembly around.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/5021-1/2.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:17 am:

Mark,
Yes what you say is true, I was able to do what you say with the old starter drive assembly. However this new assembly had very tight tolerances and nothing moved easily or even at all without exerting some force.
Hopefully everything will function as intended and I will find that out in the morning.

also, removing the original assembly wasn't as easy as just slipping it off, it also required exerting some force, so as Frank mentioned above, I suspect the starter shaft may have some issues.

I'll update in the morning. Hopefully it will start with the starter and there will be no unforeseen extra noises etc.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:24 am:

My fingers are crossed! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Thanks to all the finger crossing provided by you guys, she now starts with the push of a switch, no unusual noises and it engages and disengages as intended. If someone comes across similar difficulties, I think its safe to say that a tight fit is not necessarily a bad thing.
think of it this way, the back screw is the only thing preventing the whole mechanism from spinning on the starter shaft. a tight fit would in my opinion lessen the chance of that screw loosening up (less wobble).

Anyway thanks for all the help and digit crossing.

Rod

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration