Regular T axle in a TT?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Regular T axle in a TT?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Hi all, I am looking into purchasing a 1919 TT and was wondering if anyone has ever fitted a standard T axle to a TT? Also, were all 2 speed TT rears made by Ruckstell?
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

from what I remember the car rear axle has been stuck under some TT's as I saw 1 once. I guess the biggest hurdle would be getting a car cross member and rear spring arrangement to fit in place of the much heavier TT springs and cross member
The TT chassis is heavier, the bed is heavier than a car body and to be honest, I aint so sure I would trust the car wheels on the back to support the weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

I would imagine you are interested in more speed than a stock TT offers. Like Mack, I don't think a regular T rear end in a TT is a very good idea. If it is more speed you want consider instead an auxiliary transmission with an overdrive and high speed TT rear end gears. Ultimately, this will undoubtedly work much better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

I'm no expert. But, I would see it as doable. You would loose a lot of load carrying ability. Depending on your box you have on the backend. I would suspect the tt with box weights in like a fordor with 4 people in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Ok- I guess thats a no go in that case... Im not super concerned with load carrying capacity but I guess its more involved than just swapping axles.

Is there a more economical way to improve the top end of a TT besides a Warford? $3500 from Lang's is too steep for me just justify spending. Im aware of the High compression head which may become a serious purchase, but Im thinking the gains wont be massive from it.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

I've seen it done two basic ways. Shorten the frame to stock car length. No need to lenthing the driveshaft. Use a car rear cross member. I have also seen the use of an aux trans with a stock drive shaft and you shorten the frame but only half as much. Still need a car frame rear cross member. I also have seen a stock TT frame with a car cross member to hold a car rear spring, axle and driveshaft and a home built jackshaft to tie it all together. If your building a bed anyway an aux trans and a bit shorter frame may be the easiest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

I have one that someone has just cut the TT frame in front of the rear cross member and cut a T frame maybe three feet in front of the cross member and slid the T inside the TT and bolted it up. Works fine. It has a Warford so it was an easy way to get the driveshaft length right.

In thinking about this, it would be tough to get the same wheelbase as the regular TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

My father-in law got a C-cab when he built the T he just put it on a car frame and made a small wooden box. It turned out well, wish I had a picture to share. It is my opinion that running an aux transmission and the 5:1 gears is a better option. -There have been a couple of Giant transmissions in the classified section lately, I am not positive they were for the TT's specifically but it might not really matter unless the percent of overdrive is much less in the car versions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

TT's have two issues to contend with to make speed .... gears, and power. Give it higher gearing
and it lacks the power to push it. So, engine work is also needed to give you the power those gears
will need. Conversely, you could put a turbocharger on that dog, and unless you raise the gearing, it
still won't break 25mph before blowing up.

You need:

1. Higher performing carb

2. Performance cam

3. High compression head

4. Heavy crank

5. Balanced engine

6. 5:1 "hi-speed" gears out back

7. Aux. trans of your choice WITH overdrive

===================================

Then you can contemplate braking enhancements and other annoyances like balanced wheels, loose
spokes that come up when your TT can actual break the sound barrier. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

The easiest and least expensive solution is probably to have a TT for hauling and a regular T for "speed". And if you want to go really fast, get a Packard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

I am building a copy of Terry Horlick's "Toady" as seen in the photograph below. Terry stated that it was a little light on the front end with three people in the rear seat. So I got a TT frame from Tony Bowker and put an Ames front end under it and a Touring car rear axle in the back, I added safety hubs and all ball or Timkin type bearings in the drive line. I added a K.C. Layne Warford without shortening the driveshaft and Z'd the rear of the frame. The axle is very strong and the mountain wagon will be very light and four inches lower in the rear and three inches lower in front, But I will have to build wooden frame rails which will raise it a bit, We have added leaves to the passenger car tapered springs front and rear.

Just for fun I am installing Chris Egsgaard's famous hill climb BBR Rajo in it to make it go, and it should.

The rear wheels will be 12 inches farther back for better balance as Terry advised. It will be a 1913 vehicle and we have all of the correct brass and all new sheet metal.

Toady

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Im not sure if you guys know of him, but the gentleman who offered me the TT is Chuck Godfrey in Tennessee. I started thinking (dangerous, I know) and prodded about whether he just had a useable frame, engine, axle, and some other parts so I could build my own depot hack or speedster or whatever I wanted from it. As it turns out, he has a speedster that he's had sitting in his barn for a little while (5 years) that needs tires, wiring, coils, and some other stuff. Im thinking maybe Ill acquire this instead as this would be much more road-drivable (roadable) and would possible be more fun for a 16 year old like me to drive. Ill post pictures when I can.

Thanks for all the great info guys- I really appreciate it!

James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

My brother, Charles Rose of Fowler, Illinois, has a TT with a car rear axle. He has toured with it for 30 plus years with no problems. He once drove it to the summit of Pikes Peak without difficulty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

James - Chuck has also been here on the forum :-)
http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=chucks27t-users

Good luck with your purchase - a speedster is loads of fun, you can get a TT later on, if/when you have some heavy hauling to do :-)

Jim - do you have pictures or know how your brother did the conversion?
Some adaption is needed since the TT frame is longer, so you have to lengthen the T driveshaft - and find a way to connect the T axle to the TT springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Young man, yes please post pics of your choice! :-)
16 and getting a T? That's cool.
I had to wait until my 30's but the first model T parts I bought were when I was 11.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Roger:

If I remember correctly he lengthened the tube and put 2 U-Joints together to lengthen the drive shaft. The majority of people look at his truck and never realize that it has a car rear axle under it. He also built the best looking bed I have ever seen on a TT. You can call him at 217 434 8661 Charles Rose The best time is around 6 PM central daylight time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration