Hi Please I need some info about performance and maintenance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hi Please I need some info about performance and maintenance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Ventrice on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 06:49 am:

Being new with doing Model t maintenance, I took the plugs out and regapped them and cleaned and took off the Anderson timer and clean that as well. My battery being 2 years also lost its cranking power and had to get it tested and recharged. Living in staten island, there is no model t mechanics close by so I decided to turn to the manuals. Since the battery recharged the coils are buzzing again and after numerous times the car starts but its rough. I notice when I switch to 2 nd gear the car don't run smoothly or pick up speed and acts like it wants to stall. Is the timing off here? Not sure what to do? Any info would be appreciated especially theres not many of us with the love of these model ts anymore out there. I want to learn to work on them and diagnose problems and maybe help others too. God Bless!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 07:28 am:

just throwing this out there...Have you checked your carb. setting?? Also an air leak on the intake maybe?? also... are you trying to run on mag??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Here you go, Tony. Start with this and check your timing. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html

Firing on all four? With the engine running, ground the #1 spark plug. Engine slow down? Good. That plug is firing. If no change, you're not getting fire on that cylinder. Do the same check on #2, #3, and #4. If any cylinder isn't getting spark, check for loose connections.

Start there and check back in. If the problems persists, we'll try something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:06 am:

I believe the Anderson timer needs some grease on the contacts inside. I am not personally running one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Anthony, You did not mention switching over to magneto after starting so will check; you are advancing the spark lever immediately after starting the engine on battery power, correct?
Just want to make sure you were aware the operator is responsible for manually adjusting ignition timing as engine speed changes when operating on battery power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Sounds to me the carburetor needs to be adjusted.

If you can get the car started, speed up the engine and then slowly turn the carb adjustment till the engine begins to smooth out.

A general setting to begin with is to get it started is 1 1/2 turns out. That setting should get you going.

After it starts slowly adjust in one direction and slowly turn the opposite direction if needed to smooth the engine out.

Try that and see what happens.

Remember that 1 1/2 turns is a general setting. All T's are a little different in that regard so adjust yours where it will run the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:06 am:

From this distance it is hard to truly diagnose But over the years I would say that 90% of my carb problems have been ignition!!
The fact that he cleaned the timer but does not mention lubricant really concerns me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Mine has the same problem right now and I've narrowed it down to the coils because it improves when I can push down on them with a bare foot! Ha

It makes me feel like Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies instead of the city boy transplant that I really am. I was a stiff-collared Stock Broker with Dean Witter in Tower 2 back before Giuliani cleaned up NYC.

In the meantime I only shift into High gear on level ground on on a downslope. I'm probably wasting money but I've also ordered a used coil box lid, some rebuilt coils, and a new wiring harness for the Timer since mine looks worn. I hope this helps and am looking forward to you getting a smooth ride in high gear soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Chris;

No such thing as wasted money on T parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Send your coils to Coilman and you can take them off the list of things that might be causing you problems. Its money well spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Thx Dan

I bought 2 coils from Lang's while
I'm waiting for the Coilman to reply

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration