Front Leaf Spring Pitting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front Leaf Spring Pitting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

I will be using dry graphite lube between the springs. Does this pitting matter?

Tom

Front leaf spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

No, it doesn't matter. I would still try to remove more rust with a wire wheel or another rust removal method, but it isn't really necessary. Be sure to grind the lower outer edges smooth on each leaf so they won't dig anymore into the top of the next leaf.

Mixing the dry graphite into the paint makes it last longer - and that's the method Ford used :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Tom, those aren't rust pits. They are lubricant reservoirs! Just fill them up and proceed.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Allen has it right....lubricant reservoirs.... Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

For springs try this. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ez-slide-graphite-based-coating-1-qt?cm _vc=-10005 beats trying to mix your own. Only paint the under side contact surface. None goes on the bottom leaf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Thanks Roger, Allan and Jerry! Funny...and makes sense about the "lubricant reservoirs" :-)

John, I've seen that mentioned before about not putting on the bottom leaves. Why?

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:59 am:

"John, I've seen that mentioned before about not putting on the bottom leaves. Why?"

You only need to paint the bottoms of the leaves where they make contact. The upper leaf slides over the lower one. The paint is not really weather resistant and if you paint the top surfaces it won't protect the spring from the elements. Also I think the sliding action would remove the paint from the leaf upper surfaces if painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:31 am:

I painted with graphite mixed greyish paint all around the leaves, let them dry and assembled the pack with some grease, cleaned off the grease on the outside with acetone and finish painted the outside with regular black paint. Looks good and works fine :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Thanks John and Roger!

Tom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration