Problem solved (Need help with my generator problem)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Problem solved (Need help with my generator problem)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

July 21, 2016 a great day for touring with Seabiscuit. After fixing Seabiscuit’s charging problem I went for a short drive at Clough State Park in Dunbarton, New Hampshire. I’m still not sure what needed fixing, as the charging is working great now. I took the generator, including the 3 cutouts that I had over to my friend Dick Welch and he checked them all out, all were working as they should. Dick suggest checking and tightening the contacts at the electrical block on the firewall. All seemed tight, so I also checked the back of the ammeter and moved the 2 wires further apart. Not sure how any of this helped, but everything is working great now, at high rpms the ammeter shows over 10 amps, at an idle it shows 2 to 4 amps. So I’m one happy camper “back on the road again”!!!!

Note: please turn down the volume to about ¼ for a more accurate sound of what Seabiscuit sounds like.

Thanks to everyone for all the help, Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxvqmf_2nlc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

it would be a good idea to remove your terminal wiring, one screw at a time and brighten up the eyes with a wire brush. Just because the screws are tight doesn't mean there isn't corrosion there. Do the same with the cutout terminal as well as the battery feed off the starter and the coilbox. Everything has to be clean and tight or it's questionable. What shape is your ground strap in?

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Warren, to eliminate all your future over-charging and under-charging problems, try a Fun Projects voltage regulator. Set and forget. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 07:12 am:

Garnet, thanks for this helpful tip, I will do that. Bruce,thanks I am running a Fun Projects cutout now.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Warren, a cut out and a voltage regulator are not the same thing. The voltage regulator will prevent over charging of the battery. A cut out will not. If you are charging 10 amps all the time, you will ruin your battery. I'm hoping John Regan will chime in and completely explain the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:46 am:

You just did explain it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

The Fun Products VR is a GREAT addition to the Model T charging system. I have used one on many tours with excellent results.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration