Powdered graphite mixed with paint for spring leaves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Powdered graphite mixed with paint for spring leaves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

I have heard of this being done, but have never tried it. Apparently it makes for a nicer riding car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

I pried the leaves of my springs apart with one of these and painted them with slip paint - really couldn't tell the difference before and after.

Others may have different results to share. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

I bought some at Tractor Supply. I did mine and them reassembled them. I couldn't really tell any difference either. All the same it seems like a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Having good smooth leafs and using the graphite/paint works. I have been using the graphite/paint mix (my own) for some time. I know when I did the T springs on my T, boy did they bounce! :-) To be fare, grease might work but I think the graphite might be a little longer lasting. The key is good clean smooth leafs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Mark
Will you share the "formula " please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

I think Fords was pound of each. I just take powder or flake graphite and mix with black enamel paint till it looks about right (black paint starts taking on a gray hue). I think Ford added mineral spirits but I generally don't unless it needs thinning. I then paint the bottom of each spring that rubs. Let it set then assemble the spring and paint the whole thing at once. I do not paint the individual leafs. It's better to have bare metal rubbing then paint that just will get sticky (if the leafs were painted could be why they didn't see a difference) . The graphite rubbing from the leaf above will help prevent rust between the leafs. While pits are ok big ware spots at the end of each leaf are not, smooth and clean gets a good ride! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

See this http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/96991.html?1246461023

and this http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ez-slide-graphite-based-coating-1-qt?cm _vc=-10005

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Mark
Thank you for the info. I was able to get the graphite from Acklands Grainger in a 1 lb can. Hopefully il get to try it tomorrow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:14 am:

You are very welcome! Have fun. Let us know how it turns out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Ford coated the spring leaf with a light coat of grease, and then sprinkled powdered graphite on that, and shook the excess off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 07:55 am:

Not all years, Larry - here's from the encyclopedia:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm

SPRING PAINTING
(Accession 166, Box 3, Folder Model T T260—T-686C, Ford Archives)

Ford painted springs with the following mixture: “Mix 1.62 lbs. or one quart of special spirits (for thinning enamels); 5.5025 lbs. or three quarts of M-170 Black enamel and ten lbs. of M-1012 flake graphite. One pound will lubricate 75 springs.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:06 am:

I bought a quart of Slip Plate graphite paint at Tractor Supply perhaps ten years ago. It has provided paint for many sets of springs. You paint the spring mating surfaces, then assemble the spring after all is dry. Sand off the slip plate paint on the exposed surfaces, then prime and paint.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration