License plate lets see them if interesting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: License plate lets see them if interesting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

Finally after a 14 week wait got my period correct plates from DMV.
These are new reflective printing
I made the plate on the computer using plate pictures online and submitted it.
I also gone to our state archives and found this number is valid and was registered to a model T in 1918

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 06:12 am:

Let me get this straight, You made these up? They are not original plates that have been repainted?

New York would have a field day with that one.

On the flip side, I literally just stuck my application for my original NY plates for use on the T in the mail this morning. Now I too wait and see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 07:23 am:

This is the original plate that was on my '26.It is from the state of Victoria. On the windscreen is the last registration sticker from 1952.
Unfortunately to use the Number plate when I registered it in Queensland , I would have had to register it as a "Personal Plate" which ,for a 6 digit or letter plate, costs an obscene amount of money.. in the thousands.. so I opted to hang it on the wall and fit the boring forty dollar alternative " S " for "special interest" plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 07:49 am:

Plates are a trading commodity in my home state of Victoria Australia, maybe other states too?

Plate number 21 sold on the 11/july/16 at auction for,
$530,000.

I have personalized plates on one of my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Making a period correct plate is a new one for me.

In other words if you can find a unused plate number in Nevada and you make the plate its permissible. Is that what I understood?

Here in Texas I don't know if you can do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:56 am:

This one was acceptable but I have to put use current sticker on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:04 am:

To John Kuehn:

I was surprised that Nevada allowed Bob Middleton to register a counterfeit plate but I went on Nevada's DMV website and see that replica plates are allowed in that state.

Scroll down to "vintage" on the web page below:

http://www.dmvnv.com/platesclassic.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:44 am:

I believe that some DMV people are so stupid if you make them good enough and don't tell them they are fake they will send it thru and the stupid people on the other end will OK them. I thought about making fakes, but they keep rejecting the YOM plates here in Minnesota that I have tried recently so I won't bother doing it. I am glad it worked for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:52 am:

The thought of being arrested and convicted of counterfeiting licence plates and then being sent to prison to make license plates crossed my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:01 am:

I run YOM on most of my cars and keep the modern plate under the seat just in case. I have been doing this for many, many years and have never been stopped or questioned about it. Dealing with the people at the DMV isn't worth the aggravation. A classic case in support of the concept of asking forgiveness instead of permission .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Here is what I use on my speedster as year of manufacture plates as approve by the State of Texas. The upper being the original and the lower is a duplicate I made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Fortunately (?) the Kansas legislature has been too busy messing up elsewhere to bother screwing up the YOM program. Plate restoration is neither forbidden nor required. No stickers or other alterations needed. Registration renewal is $17 a year.

Several years ago I was stopped by a highway patrol officer for having a 1968 plate on my 1968 VW. I cooled my heels for about twenty minutes while he was on his radio having someone explain the law to him. Since then I carry a copy of the YOM law in the car along with the registration and insurance card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Duffy on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:50 am:

NY YOM. 1917

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Alabama did not start tags till 1912. So my two 1911 cars have YOM tags, just a empty tag holder. :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

Texas DMV says:

If using “old” Texas plates, the plates must be examined at your local county tax assessor-collector's office before
submitting this application. To be approved, the Texas plates must be the same year as the year model of the antique
vehicle, with the correct color scheme, and be in good readable condition. Qualifying license plates, such as Farm,
Dealer, etc., or plates with an alpha numeric pattern that is already in use, may not be used. Replicas of Texas license
plates are not acceptable. If approved, a plate tab with sticker will be issued to show valid registration.

which means, even if you get to use an original plate it still has to wear a sticker.

There were no plates issued in 1924 so i would have to use a 1923 plate and a 1924 radiator tag. probably not worth the effort. I keep my DMV plate on the back and my originals on the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

That's the way I understood the Texas law about using YOM plates on an antique car. I have a 24 Coupe and have the remains of a 24 radiator tag.

I use the Texas antique plate on it.

As the law says, using a 'replica' plate in Texas is not acceptable. That makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Dean Kiefer:

The only real reason Minnesota would reject a YOM plate is because they don't allow duplicate numbers or a series of numbers that are already reserved for some other use.

The biggest problem regarding YOM plates in Minnesota is ignorance of the owners as well as the DMV regarding registration of incorrect plates on cars. For example, there are many antique cars registered with YOM "A" plates when they should have "B" plates (A for less than a ton and B for a ton or more).

Also, I have seen automobiles registered with Minnesota truck plates instead of passenger car plates. For example, last year I saw a 1949 Buick sedan and and 1949 Ford sedan and they both had 1949 truck plates on them. Not only do truck plates have the wrong letter on them, they also have different color scheme from passenger plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

In Utah the YOM plate is just for show.YOMYOM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Randy, I have a '12 here in Texas. Do we have to have two plates since only one was used then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Restored this pair myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Front Plate

Back Plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Erik, I did put YOM plates on our 14 over 20 years ago with no problem. 2 years ago I went in to put YOM on my 1950 #882-257 & 1955 #GB 1209. They said I could not do it so I settled for the cheap looking collector plates. A club member we both know told me to try a different DMV so I did and they told me the same thing. I asked them to look them up and see if they were used and they were not. I said I am here to give you money but that did not work either. Then I called a different DMV and she said we could run them and see what would happen. Then I saw a short 1950 plate #5157 on E-bay and I called the DMV back and she said that one would work so I bought them and went to her and paid the fee for both cars. Several months latter I got 2 letters of rejection in the mail. They did tell me they were a series to be used in the future except for that short plate. I do apologize for calling them stupid on my first message because they are people just doing there job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Dean, I had no problem with the DMV registering restored YOM truck plates on a '38 Ford pickup in 2006. To the best of my knowledge they're still on the truck. Apparently we were lucky enough to find the right number. As I recall, we registered here in St Cloud. Normally the DMV in St Cloud gives you a pretty hard time if you're trying to do something out of the ordinary. Most of the time people find its easier to go to Foley or Little Falls. Oh, and for the record; the women at the DMV in Little Falls are a lot easier to look at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Michael, my son Carl keeps transferring YOM on his 1958 1959 and 1960's with no problem at the DMV in Albert Lee. That is one of the DMV's that told me no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Dean, that's interesting. I don't know if Minnesota has changed much with their laws recently. Hopefully you get something ironed out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

This is Otis, our 1914 Model T Roadster pickup with a set of 1914 New York plates. Texas didn't issue license plates in 1914 but New York did so I found these on eBay for $20.00 and free shipping. I like these because they are a perfect match for the Otis patina. I did check with a couple of policemen, told them what I planned to do and they both said, " I won't stop you." Anyway, I think Otis likes them. So do I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Dean:

I have 1950 #82 for sale. Not mint but an easy year to restore because of the color - white over black. You can repaint the black and I know a pin striper who can expertly apply the white. You could put it on the back of your car and just keep the collector plate in the trunk:

Also have a minty fresh 1952 #4 for sale:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

John, looks like Otis is a keeper, you've tried twice to sell him and he just keeps hanging around!

Looks like his tailgate used to say "Shepp's Fix It Shop", like the sides of his pickup box. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Erik, thanks but I already have 2 good pairs of 1950 plates I can't use. My #5157 looks the same length as your #82 plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Alan and John,
You are correct and I do have the little state issued tag attached to the original plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

With Erik Johnsons link, I went and read the Nevada rules on vintage plates, that Bob has in use. This cleared it up for me, in that the state still has control of making them.

What does surprise me is that they do not allow original plates even though they are making "replicas" off some originals.

Per the link for Nevada:

A Vintage license plate is a duplicate/replica of a license plate 1942 or older. You may have an existing set of plates to duplicate or the Department can assign a number.
Important: The production of the license plate will not be exactly as the original.
• The current digitized manufacturing process will be used to produce the license plates.
• Please make sure this is acceptable before ordering.
• There are no refunds for the manufacturing of the license plate.
The Department must manufacture the license plate using the current manufacturing process.
The use of an original set of license plates 1942 or older is prohibited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Mark, you are correct. I think Otis is here to stay. Did have several that wanted to take custody of Otis, however I really am not that motivated to sell unless I recover my investment. On the Sundays that we don't drive Otis to church there are always lots of questions wanting to know where he is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

The rules here in Ontario are identical to the Texas rules that Alan Fairclough explained above. Here is a pic of mine. I placed the rear sticker on the spare tire carrier. Before 1921 when the embossed plates arrived, plates were just flat steel with painted numbers that were screen printed on. The numbers were not set perfectly even so, crooked and unevenly spaced numbers were the norm. There is also the Ontario coat of arms which might make restoration difficult. Interestingly, the reverse side is painted gray and always had little black fingerprints from the criminals who made them. I wish I could run those prints on a modern database.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Erik, is it possible for you to look up a couple of plate # I have for 1912-14? The ones on our 14 are #36242 and the other ones are #55226. I bought them near home so there is a possibility I may know the family of the original owners? If you can't that's OK. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Massachusetts absolutely forbids the restoration or even touch-up of YOM plates. No one either in the legislature (they don't answer my letters) or the RMV has been able to provide me with any reason why. I have 1927 405 322 and it looks like it's been around for 89 years. We are moving to Florida, another state that doesn't allow the restoration of plates. I don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Randy, I'm curious about the Texas, 1915 tags? I thought the state didn't issue plates until 1917 but prior to that the owner would make up a number, sometimes using his house number or some other identity. Is the one on top that you say is the original one that an owner made and the state approved? Interesting stuff. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Guys these are not counterfeit plates.
These are DMV legal and registired.
A 1918 Nevada plate can run up words to $1000
And finding a pair is impossible. I do have one in my collection but not a number like this witch no one has commented on!
What I did was created a plate based on Orginals via the computer and it is allowed to submit this instead of a plate , would you trust DMV with ano item worth that much. They lost my paperwork twice.
State archival records gave me proof this plate did exist issued to a model T in Nevada in 1918. This gave me a win win win.
The state plate shop took my computer made picture and turned it into a state issued plate.
On my model A I have this same kind of plate but I do have the orginal single plate in my collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

A side note these have to run a state issued Tag
for current year of use. I just made a small piece our medal hold the states yearly tag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Here my 29 and my dad's 31 plates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:16 am:

John,
The reason my plates were given approval is because they were "pre-state" issue and it was pretty much anything goes. In 1915, there were a number of manufacturers providing more than just the plain house numbers. As I understand the history, each of Texas' 354 counties would assign numbers to the auto owners and it was up to them to put those on the car, using whatever method they chose.
My particular original plate consists of porcelain coated metal numbers and the word "Texas" in a metal frame. Many examples of these included the name of the county or even the individual Texas city.
Bottom line, I would not have gotten approval had they been official state issue.
Here is another example, for Wood county, Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Here is my plate. 1916 was the first year for permanent plates in Washington State.

Just for fun, here are some plates from some previous tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

This is the plate on my 1914 touring. I like it because it is a manufacturer plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

This is a picture of a Ford with a manufacturer plate. Apparently Henry applied early and had some low numbers. (M plates started at 5000)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:52 am:

In California, YOM plates when registered are issued two metal tabs to bolt to the plate for the required stickers (Month and Year). And, yes, you pay a small fee for the tabs!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Thanks Bob for reposting.
Check out the 2 very similar plates in the second column of the first collage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

David D doese cal DMV supply these tabs I seen them forsale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Steve wrote:

"Several years ago I was stopped by a highway patrol officer for having a 1968 plate on my 1968 VW.
I cooled my heels for about twenty minutes while he was on his radio having someone explain the law
to him. Since then I carry a copy of the YOM law in the car along with the registration and insurance
card."

======================================

When Microsoft came to my town in the late 80's, with it came an influx of nuevo-thinkers
that turned sleepy rural Redmond into a wasteland of McMansions and boutique shopping
malls. A spin off of this was the Beemer mentality, and those of us with old cars found ourselves
with a new hobby of doing what Steve got to do. Routine traffic stops, roadside safety checks,
and paperwork reviews. In one year, I had 87 contacts with the local constabulary and spent
a LOT of time in court, beating back stupid charges of "illegal exhaust", no turn signals, and
my favorite ... driving a stolen car ....

.... this one being conjured up because the officer, who had stopped me dozens of times, feigned
ignorance of having ever stopped me before, or reviewing my papers, and stated that since he
could not locate my YOM registration in the computer, he could not "prove" the car was mine,
and therefore I was placed in cuffs and taken downtown.

This was the beginning of the end of being harassed for driving old cars. I got an attorney, he
put a PI on a theory, and a letter of intent to sue was put forward, based on the findings. Seems
we had an unspoken "culture" developed to change the flavor of Redmond from cow town to
something more like Aspen, Colorado, and those hillbillies with icky old cars were to be exorcised
from the streetscape, because after all, they were unsafe and above all, unsightly !

I run YOM plates on all my old cars now, and since the earliest days of the legalizing of them in
Washington, have carried the legal papers in each vehicle to avoid trouble. After our legal "coming-
to-Jesus" meeting in Redmond, I have never had another traffic stop for equipment violations or
paperwork verifications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Bob - I've been told CA DMV sends you the year & month metal "tabs" when they approve your YOM plates (I only applied 2 weeks ago so haven't received them yet). However Audrey Welch -an independent DMV services business - has replacement tabs if you need them. Audrey can be contacted at "Audreydmv AT Yahoo DOT com"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Some MI plates hanging on my shop door. A couple missing (1924 and 1927) are on cars. The 1926 plates handing on an angle are an extra pair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

First edition Texas plate. Valid from 1917 to 1922 with a yearly radiator tag.

tag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Dean Kiefer:

I sent you a private message regarding the two 1912-13-14 MN plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Since 20 years, we have been able to get "Historical licenseplates" - replicas of the 6 different types of licenseplates used 1903 - 1976 delivered by the "DMV".
On my 4 door I have what most likely was the number on its first registration in 1922:

My ½ ton 1921 pick-up is made up of two cars and as such do not have a history beyond 1963, so I have picked a number that may have been used on a 1921 pick-up truck in my local area:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Erik, Thanks for looking up those plate #s. The Minnesota 1912 13 14 plate # 36242 that we have on our 14 T was registered to J. A. Pinkava from Austin for an Overland. He was born 3-6-1863 and died 5-3-1935. I really appreciated that. I do not know the family but he farmed 15 miles from Adams where I live. I had gotten the plates from my cousin who lived in Austin. Now I have a little more history to go with our T even thou it was originally for an Overland. Again Thank you Erik.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

The day I bought the '24 Tudor my wife found a rusty beat up AZ original plate in an antique shop. When I went to the AZMVD to register the '24 I was told that I could use the YOM plate after I restored it. The first time I tried to register it I was told the proper color for the plate was not rust colored! The next time it was accepted and even though I do not live in Graham Co., which is what the #5 stands for, the '24 is licensed in AZ.
When I moved here from WI I brought a number of very good WI license plates from the early 1900's to about 1950's that I picked up at a farm auction "free" as they were not worth anything? I left them by mistake in Sedona, AZ when I moved to Flagstaff. Wish I knew what happened to them. I did leave a set of 1924 plates on a Coupe my ex-wife sold in WI, but that is another story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Okay, I have pictures that are now the right size of the '24 and the plate. We only need one plate in Arizona so I didn't have to look for the other one. The first number in the old system, was for the county, I am in Coconino County so it should be 11 but for now it is 5, which is Graham County. I just found a 11 but it is rust colored at this point and it will take awhile to get back to the blue with white numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

This should not be this difficult.1924 Tudor andplate
Sorry about the other images, I just put the mirrors on today.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Here is my newest...

If you are a fan of the Historic Columbia River Highway and would like to purchase one of these commemorative plates, contact me.

It is a duplicate of the 1916 Oregon plate with the verbiage added, stamped in aluminum.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Here is how mine is mounted for a 1924 T in NC.

Plate picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

If anyone has a good 1927 Florida plate with an interesting number, Id be interested in purchasing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Several years ago,I visited a Quebec collector of early original license plates. "None were for sale!" However the fellow and I went to a local photo shop and ran off several laser photo copies of an excellent 1912 plate. Here in Quebec at that time, the plate was made of 1/8" Masonite with a brass grommet on each corner. The numbers were indeed hand painted.If the owner of this original ever decides to sell it, I've told him" I'm the buyer!" (for if you read the number backwards, you have 1912!)See my repro on our T.
Tom Quebec 1912

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Got the initial registration for DMV on my 1924 YOM plates, so fingers crossed they don't get rejected.

plates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

I should have included this feature in my above post of yesterday morning. Here it is just the same. When I went to register our '12 Touring back in 2002,(at that moment I had initially completed the restoration), the agent displayed a number of "current plates" for me to choose from. Obviously I was very pleased with my "912 LYZ" that I consider as 1912 Lize for "Tin Lizzie".
What a great hobby we have! Tom12 detail 015

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Just found these last weekend to go on the '22

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

In the late Summer of 1970, a friend told me about an entire barn shingled with 1931 Tennessee license plates.

I was able to get a pair of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Here's the porcelain plate on the back of my 1910 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 08:01 am:

This is my 1926 New Hampshire license plate ( I apologize that it's not a close-up, however if you use your Ctri & + keys you should be able to get a better look at it).

Happy motoring,

Warren

1926 Model T Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Tennessee plates in 26/27/28 were stamped with the words front and rear on the plates. I don't believe there are any other states that did this. Correct me if I am wrong. My license plate collector informed me that the 1915 Tennessee is amount the rarest plates, at least in Tennessee. In his circle of friends that are major collectors, there are only 7 1915 plates that are known of. My friend has 3 of those. Another friend of mine that has a 1915 touring asked to buy one of them and he was quoted a price of $10,000 for one. Needless to say, he still runs his Tennessee antique plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Interesting thread.
Bob-Texas, Alabama, and Georgia also stamped their plates with "Front" and "Rear" for a few years. Probably others I'm not thinking of right now.

Although rare, I think there are more than 7 1915 Tennessee plates left. Several have sold for $2800-$5000 in the past couple years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:51 am:

Chris, Thanks for the update on states with front and rear plates. My friend is checking on what dates other states have had them. I've never seen any other states shown or mentioned on the forum. Finding a complete set, front and rear, is what makes the Tennessee plate more expensive. I didn't paint over the word "front" on my plate because it brings up just another conversation piece. Before 1909 in Tennessee you obtained only a license plate number and you then made your own plate out of paper, wood, leather or tin to fasten to your car. I believe the date is correct. I'll post again once I know which states and years had these stamped plates. If anybody is looking for plates for Tennessee, let me know. To have a plate restored by a professional is costing around $75 but looks original when done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Here is a picture of the plate on my '24 model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:31 am:

no picture, but one of our club members took a tin snip and cut the numbers to make "26 T" out of a few different plates, welded them together to make a short non stock size, painted it, and the state of minnesota accepted it !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Keith, Here is the Columbia River Highway Centennial plate on my 1916 Model T at the Piquette Plant. Then on to the Old Car Festival.

plate

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration