Timer time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Timer time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

My timer has not been lubed or even opened since I bought this car a month ago. I'm about to venture into it nervously and will post pics. Not sure why I'm uncomfortable about this but none of the pictures and diagrams I've found seem complete enough for me to know what to expect.

Damn the torpedoes, I'm going in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Seems like the bolt on the left might hold it on with a bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:06 am:

It's hard to be sure from the picture, but it looks like you have a New Day. My favorite. It needs no lube. Enter mtfca: New Day timer in Google and you'll find tons of info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Chris, you might not like what you find. I think I see an S by the pull connector. These are repro timers and they are made with material which is too soft and wears rapidly. There are good alternatives available now.

Best of luck.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Uh-oh
Loose parts!

Oops

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Abort

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:26 am:

Abort! Abort!

Queue the Monty Python mantra, "run away! Run away!"

Hoping it will start

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:36 am:

Started right up
Whew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:48 am:

So, the "New Day Timer" is a basic rotor and spring loaded contact.

Duly noted.

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 01:30 am:

And as close to maintenance free as they get....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 06:47 am:

And when it finally wears out, get a new TW timer. Extremely durable and dependable. They are brush type timers as well. Remove cover and blow out once a year. Very accurate and well made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 07:49 am:

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Tom Carnegie is making an improved New Day. I got one from him a while back, it seems to work great so far. Much better than the ones that Snyders was making out of too soft material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Is Tom C. marketing these to the vendors yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Do I see an upside down narrow ribbed belt?

I cant use a wide belt on my T because it runs into the control rod.
The narrow belt stays on most of the time, but sometimes it get a mind of it's own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Fred,
It is a narrow flat belt that came with the car. My timer control arm also seems like it would encroach on a wide belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:36 am:

The new New Day timers, made from the proper material, should be available from your favorite dealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:50 am:

This is what I would suggest. Leave the timer as it is, but buy a new one of whatever brand you choose. I have only used New Day and Anderson, so have no experience with the others. I have a New Day on one of my cars which has been there since I bought it in 1989. I've only had it off a few times and wipe it out and put it back on.

Another car I put on an Anderson timer. This one too has very little maintenance. Just clean it off from time to time and use a little of the lube which you can get from the vendors. I have even heard of some who use Vasoline for lube.

The third car had a New Day but the brush wore out and I installed an Anderson.

I would suggest that you buy whichever brand timer you wish and carry it with you for a spare. That way, if you have a problem on a tour, you can change it. It is very easy to change. Only loosen the one bolt and replace all wires in the same order. You will need the wrench which fits the nut at the end of the camshaft. After you change the timer, check the timing. You might need to bend the rod a bit to get the retarded position right. That is also easy. Just set the crankcase pin where the right side as viewed from front of car.(drivers side on American cars) is slightly below horizontal, (about 3:30 on a clock dial) Then rotate the timer counter clockwise with the key on batt until you get a buzz in any coil. Turn the ignition switch off With the spark lever all the way up, bend the rod to fit with the timer in that position. Then to double check turn on the key and very slowly turn the crank till the coil buzzes again. The pin should be in the same position as above.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Thx for the excellent advice and clear precedure steps, Norm!

I'm saving them into a note on my phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

When Norm says about 3:30 he means the hour hand (between 3 and 4), not the minute hand (straight down). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

If you ever decide to redo the wiring to the timer, here is a diagram and a picture for guidance. The vendors sell new wiring harnesses and the fiber wire guide for the blue wire.

pic

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Thank You Mark!

I need that wiring info and have the new harness in hand from Lang's. Procrastinating today, but I'll get around to that little project one cool evening. I'm looking at it out the window at Wendy's drinking some ice cold tea right now. Wendys

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration