OT - I think I've found the perfect job.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - I think I've found the perfect job.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Hope I'm not too late:

I'll get to work with Frank Kulick, Ford's world record holding driver:

The same story about Kulick testing six cylinder Fords was picked up by national publications:

Testers taking Model K out from Piquette for testing. Frank Kulick is driving the K on the right:

And I'll have the opportunity to race around with a Model K:

Sounds like a dream job......... Besides, I already have experience. :-)

I wonder if I can bring my own mechanician?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Henry Ford would often take employee's cars from the parking lot and give them a spin on the track.

He would do at least one lap in each direction and record the speed.

Keys were kept at the guard shack.

The cars were either topped off with fuel after use or the employees were told to stop & top off at company expense.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 02:06 am:

I wonder if I am too late to apply?
Thanks Rob!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 07:42 am:

Rob,Just give Henry the story on how the first CDI works! One Gaggle?? of geese hatched on our pond this spring came back for a visit this morning! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Jim, I could see Henry Ford doing that. Personally, I think he was always about making a more efficient, reasonably priced car. And driving them to see how they ran.

Wayne, hope so,must sent my resume in.... :-)

Bud, too bad Henry Ford and Ed Huff didn't know to list CDI on the patent. In 1905, they just called it an igniter.

Ford Motor Co. publicized Frank Kulick and stories about him testing the six cylinder Ford. This story about Kulick aiding an eloping couple came out early in the Model K run:

This "K" Kulick tester story was publicized late in the Model K run, March, 1908:

This is a photo of a 1906 K being tested on Tireman Avenue in Dearborn, MI. I believe the passenger is Henry Ford.

Wayne, this young fellow may have taken our job......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 01:55 am:

LOL!! In my next life, I want to be Frank Kulick.

And a couple more great model K stories.
Thanks Rob!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 06:37 am:

Rob that story about the young couple is over the top.........with all the action up and down Woodward ave...this is another chapter for your book...the K may not of been part of Henry's ultimate business plan but he sure liked his creation and his name out front......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Wayne,
I think Frank Kulick led an incredible life. Too bad his story wasn't included when the "Reminiscences" were taken.

Robert, I agree, Frank Kulick, in my opinion, deserves a chapter in any story about Ford Motor Co..

Another one. Kulick receives a fine. No good deed shall go unpunished......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Frank Kulick, who raced and won was just as much a character off the track, as these writings tell. For some reason I think of A.J.Foyt not Jackie Stewart...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

I like the lead to the story Kulick let her out!! Being lucky enough to have ridden in a K i can say the cop who after his spin was Excited!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Robert, I think Frank Kulick must have been a remarkable character. He didn't seem to be concerned with fame after he achieved it in 1904. In 1912, when Henry Ford exited racing for good, Kulick seemed content to stay on as a key Ford employee.

Later I'll post two threads about race car drivers who raced against, and for Ford, who went different directions. I'm in Minneapolis tonight at my daughters basketball tournament. When I get to my room (and iPad) I'll post a few more Kulick tidbits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

I should have added, Bud, if you liked the K touring's speed, you will love the roadster. With larger tires/wheels, it is essentially geared higher with less weight. Add to that a fresh engine, and you have a "go fast" car. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration