Needed Hood Former for 1915 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Needed Hood Former for 1915 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 04:01 am:

I need a hood former for my 1915 Touring. Please email me at dcdtip@gmail.com if you have one for sale. Thanks, Dave Tipton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Dave,
Most hood formers will have the hood hinge hole wallowed out--one of Fords errors, there's only the thin metal to hold the hood rod, and the former wears easily, so, find a decent former, and instead of just welding up the wear on the hood, weld in a short piece of tubing for the rod to 'run' in, no more worn out formers! Done right, no one will see the modification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Dave, Good advice. However the hood former I have is long past being repaired because of rust. All other model year hood formers seem to be fairly available either from Rootlieb or on the open market. The 1915-1916 years were transition years between the visible wooden firewalls and the enclosed style. That and given the multiple complex bends and shapes make it too costly to remanufacture today. So my search continues ... David Tipton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

David,
Yes, they are not "common" I searched a while for mine. The other problem is the firewall itself, as the edge needs to be tapered to fit the former, and it has to be the correct thickness too!
Oh woe unto us who own '15 & '16 year models, we fall into the "transition" period from brass to black! Many small changes through the production period too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Dave, Yes the firewall is a problem as well. I had someone offer to make an exact replica for me but wanted $450.00. So, I got one from one of the Model T parts suppliers for $80.00. It's the correct thickness, shape and has the correct bevel around the outside edge. However, some of the bolt holes were misaligned slightly and had to be drilled out, nothing major though. Overall I'm happy with it. With a 100 year old car "some adjustment is required"! David Tipton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

David, Make sure the round corners of the fire wall fit into the tabs on your former. I got a fire wall that the radius at the corners was a 1/2" short. I had to make my own fire wall, as the supplier would not stand behind his product make it good. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

You posted your ad in the wrong place!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration