K&N air filter for the T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: K&N air filter for the T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 10:39 am:

I have one on my '13, but looking around I don't see them offered any more. I bought some parts yesterday and figure to make 6 of them with a couple of improvements in the way they attach.
Yes I know you can buy the foam ones and they are certainly better than nothing (and they are cheap too). I have one on my '27.
What inspired me, is locally we have a bunch of guys running old time race cars (T's that is) on dirt. Unless you are in first place the dust is horrible !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 10:50 am:

I used to run K & N filters on my Ford trucks until I found out they have been independently proven to filter out less contaminants than a factory filter.

They allow more air to pass but also allow more contaminated air to pass as well.

Now I run high quality paper media replaceable filters.

Freighter Jim

(Message edited by Enclosed_ford_transport on July 23, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:03 am:

I agree with Jim, after running a K&N filter on my 4x4 I discovered a light coating of dust inside the intake tube. Off with the K&N. I've switched to stock filters or Uni Filters for my vehicles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Interesting information. So where can I buy a suitable element to fit to a T? Not a heck of a lot of space available

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:31 am:

If the K&N is a drop in replacement it cannot possibly flow more air and also filter as well as a stock OEM filter. Yes, they do flow more air and also more dirt. Furthermore, the extremely fine dust that gets past the K&N does the most damage. Larger stuff tends to get sucked in and blown right on out on the exhaust stroke. The finer particles get mixed in with the oil and circulate around, and over time your engine oil gets progressively transformed into something like the very finest valve lapping compound. This is K&N's "dirty" little secret. Literally.

One the other hand, as already stated, a K&N is better than the stock (nothing) Model T setup. The answer is to change your oil often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I got mine on Ebay, it's a filter for an antique Clinton lawn tractor, seems to work just fine on my essentially stock 1924. I made an adapter cone and a hanging strap out of sheet brass. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Mark
Interesting idea. I'll have to look into what is available. The K&N element is actually motorcycle. I wonder what it fitted? Certainly some things to investigate. That's what I like about this forum. A good source of ides and experience

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Someone has already probably done this before - but if you go to a really big NAPA store or True Value Hardware store ...

If the staff is friendly & patient - you can try different disposable one piece paper element filters to see if something might fit.

If that does not work - maybe an older lawnmower or motorcycle repair shop might have something ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

I bought this adaptor when visiting friends in Spokane. The filteris K&N part no RU-0400

When attached to the carb it hangs down between the frame and the hogshead. Here it is shown on my Stan built OF, waiting for fitting to my new roadster.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Allan
Yes that is identical to the one I have. I've thought of a few "improvements " to try. I wonder if this style is still being made? I haven't seen it advertised any where

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Les, I understand the fellow making them is no longer with us. I had to make 'improvements' to mine also. I got a bit ham fisted and wound down a bit too much on the mounting bolt and broke off the lug. It was welded back on with considerably more material to work with, and re shaped for extra strength.

That filter is a new one. Cost $95. The old one had shrunk considerably through being left off the elbow, and would not go anywhere near fitting again.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:23 am:

If any body is interested I could make some like this one, but would need dimensions of the carb inlet and filter. Bill/CDA Machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I never ran an air filter, until I got one of Stan Howe's neat Stromberg carburetors. The I purchased a cheap air filter unit from the local auto store, welded up some pipe, a little paint and I had a good serviceable unit. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Mike
Interesting design. I've been thinking about some ways of attaching it to the carb that don't rattle or leak or over stress the carb body
Will you provide a part number / source for the element please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Bill
The K&N element has a 1-7/8" connection where it clamps on.
You need to study your carb and where it all mounts/locates. The various carbs I have looked at all seem to be functionally the same where the filter will attach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Les:
your friends with the racers might consider mounting a filter inside the cowl ...i fabricated a inlet tube that ran from the carb. ,thru the firewall and mounted a round 11" filter element from a mazda pkup. behind the dash ...used straight rubber rad. hose to connect to carb. and fabricated a filter housing ...with the filter inplace there was no noticeable noise from the intake and the filter was in a cleaner and dry mounting position ...this was on my 1927 Fast 4 Dodge Bro. rally car so there was no fuel tank under the dash...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

Les, I first made a prototype from 1 1/4" PVC pipe.

Then I purchased a few 1 1/4" U tubes from Speedway, cut them up and welded to shape.

The filter is just a $10 generic brand filter I got at the local auto parts store. I made a small disk that is welded to the pipe for the bottom of the filter to attach to. I also had to increase the size of the pipe to fit snugly into the throat of the carb. I went to a muffler shop to have the pipe stretched, but now one had one small enough for 1 1/4" pipe, so I cut a small section of straight pipe split it and welded it over the pipe to make it about 1 5/16".

Here is a picture of the top bracket to the firewall and it also shows how the bottom of the filter is connected to the pipe. The RTV is just sealing leaks.

The bottom is held by a wire from the carb to this tab welded onto the pipe.

Hope this helps, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Great design and great pics Mike, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Mike, I been using that same filter for years now with my OF. That's probably a good place for the air supply but not sure about the flow thru the piping. Sure is a great job routing.
I simply installed mine right off the carb intake with a bit of an offset to allow the fuel line connection to clear.

The filter is a 4 x 2 made by Spectre #4809 and I get them online for about 6 bucks. I did make an adapter from the 2" to fit the OF. There's just enough room next to the block and clearance to the hogshead but I do get some buildup on the filter from road and maybe from the oil filler breather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

I wanted to get the filter up and away from the road. First to avoid the dirt you are talking about, 2nd so that I can easily reach it. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Mike
Looks good and thank you for all the info. I wonder how tight of a radius a muffler shop can bend. Just thinking that maybe they could bend it all in one piece. I'll investigate next week
Thx
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Gene French
That is a very worthy idea
Lots to investigate and consider
I've just spent two solid days crawling around under my '13 doing a whole bunch of "maintenance and little repair items"
A bit of machining and welding tomorrow and should be good to go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

Just make a trip to the local hardware stores plumbing section, find bathroom vanity P trap. The flange on the end holds a O-ring
sealing the carb, and a small bracket attached to the intake manifold holds it in place. PVC fittings size it up to the inlet of the filter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

James
A really excellent idea!!
This thread has certainly brought forth some very innovative ideas. I'm really pleased

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Im in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:37 am:

For what it's worth, I had a new K&N filter for a T earlier this year before Chickasha, for sale. Don Lang snatched it up, quick. I wondered why someone who sells them would do that. then I found out they weren't available anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Gee Terry. Imagine that!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 09:26 am:

When I saw Dean Yoder's RP at Richmond last month he was running a generic 2" air filter available from any auto parts store. I've since bought one at O'Reilly for a little over $20, but I haven't got around to installing it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Why not use some metal flexible tubing?
Some are easy to bend and some take strength and will hold it's shape throughout the bumps and bruises.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Why not use some metal flexible tubing?
Some are easy to bend and some take strength and will hold it's shape throughout the bumps and bruises.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Here's the cyclonic air filter I have run on our 27 speedster. I have no idea how well it filters dust out but it looks neat installed.:-)

Here's a link to the patent data.
https://www.google.com/patents/US1438553?dq=1438553#v=onepage&q&f=true

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Timely updates here. Just tonight I bought a 1-1/4 trap assembly which I plan to marry with a Briggs &Straton air cleaner element I bought at Canadian Tire. Hopefully I will have pictures to post tomorrow night

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 12:18 am:

I like Zahoric's idea. Get it up and out of the road dust. Maybe even locate it forward
enough to pull heat off the air passing through the radiator ??? That's some really nice
looking pipe work, Mike. Mount a funky vintage air cleaner housing on the end and it would
really enhance the overall "widget" look ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

This is my setup.

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

Dean
Interesting crankcase ventilation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Great idea, Ralph Ricks had the same on his Brass PCup

I use that same filter and placement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

One thought. Wouldn't you want to increase the size of the pipe as the run gets longer? The short run from the mouth of the carb to where it picks up fuel you are pulling air from a large outside area and feeding it quickly. If you use the same diameter pipe in a longer run aren't you cutting down some on the volume air available because X amount of air now has to travel the length of the pipe before it enters the carb.

I have done Dean's positive crankcase vent in the past to help clear up a condensation problem. Seems to help some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:45 am:

I almost said the same thing a couple of days ago, but didn't hit send. Personally, I don't run an air filter at all, but I have to wonder about the prudence of running 3' of pipe and a box full of elbows just to attach an air filter that prides itself on low restriction. Guess it beats 3' of pipe and box full of elbows and an air filter that DOESN'T pride itself on low restriction.

When my oldest son was 16, he went out and bought a K&N filter for his truck. He said the ad said he would get 40 extra horsepower. I told him the ad probably had said he could get UP TO 40 extra horsepower and that was likely based on a HUGE V-8 with the worst of factory air cleaners compared to the K&N and he wasn't going to see any difference in his 2300cc Ford Ranger.

Of course, if it WERE true, we'd all have 60 HP Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 01:00 am:

Speaking of using metal flex tubing, here is what we came up with for our speedster: The tubing is available in a range of sizes and looks somewhat period correct. Its zinc plated and we chose not to paint it. The air cleaner is an aftermarket Dave Wilton Model A downdraft piece with a standard FRAM style cartridge. After years of running with no air cleaner, we figured this might be a good idea for those dusty dirt roads.

Air Cleaner 1Air Cleaner 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Lots of great ideas here, but a word of caution needs to be said. I would strongly advise against mounting any air cleaner design below the level of the carb intake. Any flooding that might occur for any reason will result in having raw fuel being retained in the filter and if a back-fire should happen a fire will result. I've seen this on two Model A's with aftermarket "hang-down" filters, and both resulted in total devastation of the cars. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

That's the main reason I don't use one. I've brought that up before, but I'm not sure many others thought it was a real concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I use a Holley Hot plate on my '26, love it, works great. Have been thinking off and on about adapting an air cleaner to the intake as their is not a lot of metal there. Has anyone done this or have some operational ideas? Would love some input and pictures, thanks.

Joe R. Independence, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Many years ago you could buy one. If you look in the old Vintage Ford classifieds!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Morse on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

I have the patterns for the elbows for the filters the late Stan Rhoades made for the late Vern Storye.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration