How my Generator rebuild went. As of yesterday, it's on the car and was charging. I need to take it out in the dark where there's no light pollution and see how the lights look.
After taking it apart and cleaning the communicator on the armature and cutting the mica and testing on a growler, I decided to bench test for motoring. The generator had sat on my bench for over three years after having the field coil replaced by Ron Patterson. I purchased a Brush ring and replaced that myself.
It motored, but I had noticed a spark when attaching the battery to the term bolt. I had not mentioned this before.
So.....after setting the null point on the brushes and fiddling with a few other things, forum members gave advice on what to check for. I did multiple tests in the car, and the generator would not charge.
Took the cutout apart and determined the gap was 1/8th of an inch between the points. I reset that but didn't even attempt to reuse it.
I ordered new brushes, a term bolt to brush wire, term bolt insulators and a diode cutout from Lang's and had the parts in two days. The term bolt wire needed some reworking as the new ones are made with a round hole on the bolt end, and it actually needs to be square for the shank of the bolt (to keep it from turning when you tighten from the outside).
Assembled everything, put it on the car, and started it up. Began charging immediately. I set the adjustable brush for an approximate 5 amp charge rate. My amp meter goes from 0 to 15 with no numbers in between. I may change that out at a later date.
So far, I would call this one....successful.
Great job Bill. I had the same problem, but I think mine was cause by poor connections on the firewall.
Loud applause !
Absolutely no difference in the lights whatsoever