I am going to take the T out today and tomorrow evening and see...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I am going to take the T out today and tomorrow evening and see...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

How my Generator rebuild went. As of yesterday, it's on the car and was charging. I need to take it out in the dark where there's no light pollution and see how the lights look.

After taking it apart and cleaning the communicator on the armature and cutting the mica and testing on a growler, I decided to bench test for motoring. The generator had sat on my bench for over three years after having the field coil replaced by Ron Patterson. I purchased a Brush ring and replaced that myself.

It motored, but I had noticed a spark when attaching the battery to the term bolt. I had not mentioned this before.

So.....after setting the null point on the brushes and fiddling with a few other things, forum members gave advice on what to check for. I did multiple tests in the car, and the generator would not charge.

Took the cutout apart and determined the gap was 1/8th of an inch between the points. I reset that but didn't even attempt to reuse it.

I ordered new brushes, a term bolt to brush wire, term bolt insulators and a diode cutout from Lang's and had the parts in two days. The term bolt wire needed some reworking as the new ones are made with a round hole on the bolt end, and it actually needs to be square for the shank of the bolt (to keep it from turning when you tighten from the outside).

Assembled everything, put it on the car, and started it up. Began charging immediately. I set the adjustable brush for an approximate 5 amp charge rate. My amp meter goes from 0 to 15 with no numbers in between. I may change that out at a later date.

So far, I would call this one....successful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Great! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Victory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Great job Bill. I had the same problem, but I think mine was cause by poor connections on the firewall.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxvqmf_2nlc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Loud applause !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Absolutely no difference in the lights whatsoever

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration