What do these bolts go to?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What do these bolts go to?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

I was given a bunch of Model T parts several years ago and have been sorting the good from the bad. Any idea what these 3/4" bolts go to? It must be to something that has to be wired, like the transmission, but these are too short to be ring gear bolts. I only have eight of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

It depends.

Two different sizes of bolts look look like the ones in your picture. If the bolts are 5/16 X 24 threads with 1/2 inch heads, then they are indeed differential ring gear bolts.

However, they could also be bolts with 3/8 X 24 threads with 9/16 inch heads. Those bolts were used in 3 different locations around the transmission. They could be bolts used to hold the magneto coil assembly to the back of the block, in front of the flywheel magnets. Four bolts were used here. Or, they could be the bolts that attach the driving plate to the back of the transmission brake drum on 1909-1925 cars. 6 of these bolts were used there. Finally, two of these bolts were also used in the bottom two holes in the Universal Ball Cap (Rear). In each of these applications, locking wires were run through the holes in the head to keep the bolts from coming loose.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 02:32 am:

Trent:

Thanks for answering my question. They are 5/16-24 with 1/2 heads, which would mean that they came from a differential. That would make sense now, as I took a complete one apart two years ago that had been buried in the dirt on my parent's farm.

Is this the correct part number? https://www.modeltford.com/item/2519.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:48 am:

This got me curious and I went and looked at two differential assemblies I have and one has three long bolts and nuts holding the spider assembly together and the other has one long bolt and nut and the other two are studs with nuts. What year was this done? David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:37 am:

David, from the encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#rax3

"DIFFERENTIAL GEAR CASE STUD
1909-1915
2514 52 3/8 x 2-3/4
1915-1920
2514B 52B or 2865 3/8 x 2-1/4
1921-1927
2414C 52C Now a cap screw."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Thank you very much for the reply, the text suggest that they were all studs I suppose the ones I have may have worn loose and somebody modified it and drilled them through and put bolts and nuts as a repair?? Thanks David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Jim K : When I look at that bolts, The best thing is 'throw them away. Special the last one who is bent already.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Anything they fit that lock with wire
Like the bottom two bolts on the Ujoint

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration