It's too darn hot to drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: It's too darn hot to drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Here in northern Alabama at 94 F and 45% humidity giving a "feels like" of 102 F, it's just too dag-blasted hot to ride my speedster around. Maybe if there were a breeze. Or some clouds to make it overcast. But even running 45 mph it's just hot air blowing. And then stop signs or lights are agony while you just sit there and roast.

I'm not remotely complaining, and hopefully not jinxing myself, but, for now my speedster is clean, polished, and running well with no mechanical or electrical issues. But that plus blazing heat means I'm stuck in the house with nothing to do. I really need to make a convertible top for this thing. At least then I wouldn't bake so bad under the sun.

Is there anybody with nice weather getting to ride around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Out here its over 100 with a post nuclear ash falling from a giant 11,000 acre brushfire in the nearby hills, so no, not good T weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Same here. We just changed our plans to drive my Model T to a local distillery tour today because of the stiffling heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Viroqua, WI

Humidity in the 90% range - up to 92 degrees - a tad bit uncomfortable.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

I would say it is seasonably hot in the St. Louis area, so I do all my outdoor chores, biking and driving in the early morning hours. I rode my bicycle 20 miles this morning, got home before 9:00 am. The rest of the day is spent on indoor chores or browsing on the computer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Its been that hot here for three weeks! Anytime I take mine out both my shirt and pants are soaked with sweat by the time I get home..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Drove to Granger, WA two days ago for a club picnic at a member
's home, nice warm mid 80's going, mid 90's returning. Today had a nice drive to church.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Was forced to attend an outdoor wedding today... 95 degrees. Not even a little pleased at the use of the day. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Took my car out yesterday to check the generator performance after a rebuild. Genny ran fine as did the car. At 92 degrees and 74% humidity it was a warm, uncomfortable drive. Got home and stuck my head in the freezer for a while. It was refreshing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Mark: I was looking at the Temp and weather around the Mansfield area and I am glad I live in California till I look at the weather for our area and it is like this

Temp at 3:PDT 103
HUMIDitY AT 3:pdt 10 %
WIND WNW 8.

THE RABBITS ARE TAKING THEIR OWN SHADE WITH AND THE BIRD STOP FLYING AS THE UP DRAFTS ARE TO HIGH OPPS I AM ON CAPS LOCK SORRY ABOUT THAT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

I'd like to welcome all the above posters to Texas in the Summer for the last 10,000 years! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

even two to hot for my old Indian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

My modern car's thermometer was showing 104 degrees today. _It felt like I had walked into a bathroom where somebody had just taken a hot shower. _Guess I shouldn't complain as the weather has been moderate up to this point in the summer. _Too hot to drive a Model T, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

LOL

Are you the same guys that talk about 70 degree weather when we are freezing in New England?

I will not tell you that it is only 85 here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

We had an early departure breakfast tour in the Mother Lode today. Got home by noon and it was already way into the 90's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

My wife informed me that I did a Clinton and was untruthful.
It is 65 in Newfields.
I will delete all emails that say something else and then blame it on a video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Gents, .... armor up, it's time to hit the gate for a patrol ....

That kevlar and ammo weighs 60lbs. We'll be covering about 10 miles and out for 6 hours, if all goes smoothly.

0800hrs, Camp Dwyer, Helmand Province, June, 2011.

It will be 155 before noon and never cooled off below 110 between June and October.

Any questions ? Good.

Now go enjoy your liberty time in those mild temps we Americans enjoy back home. ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

-Am hearing 'youse guys!-
Just to perhaps provide my $0.02 and a tip of sensibility... If your shop is sealed up / insulated, a dehumidifier will provide working comfort. especially when this 'heat dome' shows up. (It also helps as a rust inhibitor.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Even here in Canada, too hot. At least too hot to make driving truly enjoyable. The big four cylinder with giant rad pushes a lot of heat at the driver. There is always a shortage of events this week anyway. This is the week I usually do my "mid summer shutdown" where I do a major overhaul on some part of the car as I am doing now. I don't have garage heat in winter so, it works out well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Earlier today Herb posted a link to a brochure about keeping your T weather tight and cozy for the winter, Was there ever any advertising or recommendations about how to keep your T cool in the summer, i have never seen any such thing...Was it even possible, or did they just live with it like we do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

I took the speedster out for a short run today. Then my son and I took our bows out and shot a few dozen arrows at some dangerous and menacing targets. After that, went over to the neighbors house and sat out on the deck and polished off a pot of coffee. And all the time I kept complaining about the 92 degree heat and 80% humididity.

In reality, today's weather wasn't to bad when compared to the two previous days. But I felt sorry for most of Northern Minnesota. A severe storm knocked out the power for most of the Northeast part of the state Wednesday night and their air conditioners weren't conditioning a darn thing for three days.

But I seriously feel sorry for the people in the Southern part of the country that live with these and worse conditions throughout the summer. At least, here in Minnesota, we get some very comfortable weather each summer and a few days of being uncomfortable seems pretty insignificant.

I have one sister in Phoenix, Arizona and one sister in McAllen, Texas. I wish they were here this week. The thought of them dealing with the heat they're living with for months at a time is disheartening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 06:43 am:

Drove the Fordor yesterday with the windows closed, and the windshield open a few inches. Absolutely comfortable. No fan belt either, with the new radiator. Didn't gurgle at all after shuttling it down. It was 93 degrees in the shade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 07:00 am:

Yep it's hot! My only question is how do you get the windshield to stay open without using rubber blocks? :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 07:03 am:

Finally a couple of days in the high 70's during my vacation here in Sweden - not complaining at all :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Yesterday, a day hot enough to make the devil sigh, on a lonely stretch of I-10 in the Florida panhandle I saw a Florida State Trooper changing a flat tire for someone. God bless him and other officers like him who don't deserve the reputation they get in some circles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Btw, Roger, looks like you're just trying to start trouble. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 09:00 am:

I was in the driveway working on one of the 68 Mercury Cougars nearly all day yesterday. About 100 degrees here. Had to wear shorts. Neighbors didn't complain. Trouble shooting wiring issues. You get used to it and next thing you know it is October.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:45 am:

It was in the high 90s here with humidity above 15%, I can not take the high humidity, it is really nice when it stays below 10%

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

"We get a taste" this time of the year... GB is showing a current temp of 75 (forecasting 87), but humidity is at 100%. (And it isn't raining.) Thank goodness for A/C and dehumidifiers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

What a bunch of whiners you guys are. When you aren't complaining about the cold,
you're complaining about the heat !

On the other hand, who doesn't enjoy listening to a bunch of old crabs complaining ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Heat index has been running between 110 and 120 here in Houston for what seems like weeks. I took the new coupe out for a short drive and, although it did not overheat, I nearly did!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:28 am:

If it is too warm in the front of the touring just use the accessory door prop to allow some of that heat to exit the car. Not my car.

The door prop:

The prop receiver:

Door held open:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:37 am:

Took Henry out today. I think it was about 97. The other day we hit 107. That was hot.... and I was in the shop with no A/C. Still a great day though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:25 am:

Average high and low temperatures here this time of year are 93 and 69, with humidity anywhere from 20% to 100% depending on the weather. I don't consider the humidity bad until grains of salt spilled on the table turn into little pools of salt water and the salt clots up and won't come out of the shaker. Of course not all days are average. Most summers we have a lot of highs in the high nineties and some in the low hundreds. When that happens you do your outside work like mowing or clearing brush early in the cool of the morning, then work in the shop during the day with both doors open to let a little breeze move through. You do your Model T cruising around sundown, before dark, and it's very pleasant. In summer the upstairs is still pretty toasty in the evening, and I'll catch a snooze on the front porch swing then go up to bed after midnight when it's cool. Some of the relatives who dwell up in the frozen tundra are scared of the heat in Kansas, but I'm not suffering a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Here in the Mojave desert it fells like 109,,,,,,,,because it is 109. As long as she doesn't over heat ( hasn't yet ) off we go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Here in south-central Texas it was so hot that I left the commode seat up just to get an icy stare from the wife.
But last Wednesday we were right at 42 degrees F - on a cruise in Glacier Bay AK,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3rtPA6XnA0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

-Steve-
'The Frozen Tundra' isn't quite so frozen at this time... Presently 79 degrees with 60% humidity, and it is very decent. 'Heat' is much more tolerable without the high humidity!
Happy T-ing, too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Took the '19 Touring to both churches today........ :-O

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration