OT - Car Makers Go From Spare Tires To Doughnut Tires To Nothing...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Car Makers Go From Spare Tires To Doughnut Tires To Nothing...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

My wife and I have been saving up and finally bought her a nice new car/suv and the damn thing has a small air pump and can of tire goop stored in the rear end.....no spare tire or even a car jack. I know the trend was to those skinny doughnut spare tires but this is rediculous. Does AAA have a secret deal with auto makers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

My daily driver 2007 Honda Element came with a donut spare, which I check and top off regularly so that it will be fully inflated in case I need it.

For long trips, I decided to buy a spare wheel, TPMS sensor, and full size spare tire, which I carry on the floor behind the rear seats. I also check it frequently so that it will be fully serviceable if I ever need it.

So far (9 years and over 100,000 miles), neither spare has touched the ground (knock on wood).

If it worries you, do what I did and get the parts for a full size spare, but odds are you'll never use it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

My wife had a flat some years ago on her Corolla. I put the donut spare on ad asked her to go straight home... 1 mile and 3 turns. It made it through the first turn before the spare came loose and went flat. I have no other experience with them as I went to the salvage yard for a real wheel!

If the new cars come with a tire repair kit instead of a spare I will vote my disapproval by not purchasing one.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

As I understand, (not an expert), new cars are coming without spare tire or jacks as this saves weight for the almighty government mileage needs. If you want a spare for your new car you must order it as an extra.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Gee, Mr. Obvious ..... I am having trouble connecting the dots here ....

Older vehicle, built better and equipped better, paid for, and only requiring maintenance
and rebuilds, OR

New vehicle, corners cut in build and equipping, FULL RETAIL cost (and payments ?) and
massive depreciation ...

And we are going to complain about signing on to buy this ?

The newest vehicle I own is a 1986. My next newest is 20 years older, and it just walks
backwards from there. New cars are electronic junk, wrapped in plastic. If that's your bag,
by all means, go for it. I prefer honest machines that I can weld on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had a flat tire in ages. If memory serves me correctly it has been over 20 years and I put on about 17K miles a year on my vehicles. I drive a lot of rural roads and gravel up here. Most of the problems other folks I know who have had flats can be attributed to tire stem failure from not having stem caps, buying cheap tires that throw belts, or hitting the occasional roofing nail on the road. I've always bought good quality tires and have LT tires on my trucks and SUV's. So far, so good. I also ordered and took delivery of a new F150 this spring. I find some of the technology a little baffling at times, however it is more comfortable, gets better mpg, rides and tows better than my old '96 Chev. Oh yeah, its paid for. Pays to save up for big purchases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:36 am:

I have some friends who bought a new Chrysler 300.

A week or two later they realized it didn't have a spare.

Fortunately the new Honda CRV we bought 2 months ago has a full size spare in it.
So I guess some auto makers are trying to save a buck by not putting one in the trunk. The trouble is the Chrysler 300 has a small trunk my friend informed me. Maybe that's why there isn't a spare in it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:39 am:

You know I agree about the spare. I'd rather have one. Even a doughnut. My last flat was on the Parkway and no amount of sealer was going to fix it. Electronics, plastic, I know I know. Fact is though their so damn safe accident wise it's ridiculous. Go to YouTube and type in 1959 Chevrolet crash test. Shocking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:46 am:

I will keep my old vehicles. I told the Ford dealer when he could get the manual transmission out of the mustang and into the F150 call me.....so far he hasn't called. I can do a frame off restoration, spend less and have a better vehicle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 09:40 am:

after over 40 years in the shops I will say absolutely that the new cars are far more reliable and much better built than the old ones. Plastic, yes. Poor handling, poor safety, and poor operating costs, no. Cars are spectacular now versus the older ones in EVERY way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Donuts are only good if they have jelly inside ...

Or creme ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:43 am:

I was going around Chicago several yrs ago when donut tires were in full swing. I was running about 60 mph when this car passed me, doing at least 80 mph, with 4 of those donut tires on. Scared me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Speaking of flats, I`ve recently had problems with my 2007 Lincoln---factory Aluminum wheels tend to corrode causing slow leaks. Tire shop has dismounted, wire brushed and sealed the wheel rims but the slow leaks come back. Their latest recommendation: replace the wheels? They`ve seen lots of this kind of problem with alloy wheels...Seems to me there should be some kind of good sealer? Any suggestions? thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Powdercoat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Paul,
It is not the sealer but the preparation that failed. They need to be blasted before sealing. The outside can be masked off and just the area that will be under the tire blasted. The aluminum oxide has to come off down to bare clean metal.

As for spare wheel on new cars. They may linger longer than expected. They are part of the rear end collision protection when they are mounted horizontally behind the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

I was complaining about the "no spare" to my neighbor and the fact this suv (52k cost) also does not have a CD player though my wife and I have a collection of around 150 music cd's. Neighbor's 12 year old pops up and says, " why would anyone want a CD player in a car?" Wanders off with a stack of my cd's about a 100 tall and returns in a hour with a tiny memory stick in his hand. He has ripped all 100 cd's to the memory stick and claims the stick is only half full. Plugged the stick into the SUV and no shit, all the albums and songs are on that one tiny piece of plastic! I have a lot to learn......:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

My math and economics senses are tingling .....

So, let me get this straight .... FIFTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS sign-up cost, and you
get no spare ?

Exactly what DO you get for that kind of money ???

Were armed ruffians and threats of life and limb involved in the sales process ?

Either you guys have my yearly income hiding under the cushions in your couches, or
some financial mentoring seems in order.

Let's see, .... 86 Toyota 4x4, as bought $1700. Rebuild of suspension and drivetrain to
make reliable $1800, minor body work and paint $1000. Total up-front cost $4500.

12 years of reliable service, average yearly maintenance cost, including lubes, tunes,
and oil changes $821.32

26.1 mpg, AND there are TWO sets of wheels and tires (summer/winter) AND a full size
spare hanging under the bed for emergencies ! It is simple and easy to work on, parts
are easy to get and CHEAP .... help me understand why I have no desire to take on a
FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR DEBT for a plastic box with no spare ! Is it the staggering
parasitic drain on my income ? Is it the junk being passed off as good stuff ? Or is it the
contemptuous way a person is handed that plastic cube and told it is a gold bar ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Burger, I hate to burst your tiny bubble but I have no debts, or loans and pay cash for all my purchases. What I drive, my life style and how I spend my hard earned money is no one else's business. I do not need your financial advice. How you live is not my concern and I wouldn't trade places with you. :-)
barn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Well said Michael!

BTW - Nice looking touring car in that lineup.

Mike Hanson
Kingwood, Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

It does not surprise me the spare is not there. Most folks nowadays just dial up a tow truck for a flat tire. To lazy to change it basically. So why carry 1 I guess is the thinking.

I have been pondering getting a later model truck with automatic since my left hip is wanting to give me such a fit all the time pushing in a clutch. But when I see the prices for used stuff, i get sticker shock.
Just a while ago I looked at a 2005 Avalanche. 200,000 miles. New was 39+, 8200 bucks now.200,000 miles, dang, what I am driving aint got that much!
new trucks are out of sight. Tylenol is still affordable :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

At about a quarter million miles my 20-year-old Camry reached the stage where the fancy electronic features were starting to go south expensively. So I dumped it and bought one that was only six years old. I'll do the same with it. Both Camrys came with doughnuts. I have had to change a flat a couple of times in recent years, so I carry a pump just in case I have to use the spare. Much better than waiting for somebody to come rescue me out in the boonies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

My wife's car just has an air pump in the trunk. It doesn't bother me a bit, as neither of us have ever had a flat tire. We run a combined 30k miles per year, but I keep good tires on our vehicles, and don't run on junk.

When I spent a lot of time in junkyards when I was just out of school, at least 80% of the cars had donuts that appeared to have never been used during the life of the car. Spare tires were added waste that was expensive to make and not easy to recycle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:21 am:

In my experience a donut spare is unsafe to ride on at or below the specified speed. I won't have one in my car or the car of anyone I care about. The one we had was properly mounted and inflated. It rolled off the rim on the first corner at about 5 mph.

The spare is there to keep you safe in the event that one of your tires fails. Do you really want your daughter or wife depending on a can of goo and a pump? A donut spare which cannot stand up to normal driving? ... Want her to have to drive at 45- 50 mph on a donut spare to get off of a highway where everyone else is going 70?

Let's be real, my wife and daughters all can (and have) changed their tires. They also have AAA cards. The AAA will put the spare on if you have time to wait for them. If that donut fails and you survive it they will tow you on your second call.

My recommendation: a real spare tire, real jack, wheel chocks, real tire changing tools, and a charged cell phone in all of my cars.... T too. I like to have an AAA card and some cash also.

IMHO, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 04:30 am:

It is amazing the wide range (financially) of folks who share this love of Model T. Truly the "universal car."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Why should they provide a spare? Too many airheads today that couldn't change a tire, don't want to get their hands dirty, think it's illegal or immoral to step out of the car on a highway. Even for car guys, it's hard enough now just finding the spare and figuring out jack variant #107 actually works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:58 am:

We had a flat somewhere south of Glendale Oregon in a Buick. I put on the donut spare and drove on I 5 to Grants Pass to a tire shop where we bought a used tire to continue on our trip. The spare was installed on the rear of the car which is front wheel drive. Had no problem at all with it. We also have AAA and could have called for their help, but didn't need it.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration