Brass flywheel bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass flywheel bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

What do you guise use for a reference to torque the brass flywheel bolts? Just tighten them snug or is there a inch pound rating? I don't want to twist them off. Thanks.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

The fly wheel Machine screws are brass,and tight is as far as you want them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

Are referring to the brass screws go through the mag clamps and keep the magnets in place on the flywheel?

If so, our group uses a large bladed 12 inch screwdriver and tightens the screws as tight as we can get them without using any mechanical help. The screws tighten the mag clamps, which hold the magnets in place. Keep in mind that all of the mag clamps must be tightened so that the clamps are each and every one is set to the same height.

Sometimes a little persuasion is needed from a brass hammer, to compress the screw, to achieve this goal. Once the magnet height is set, then the threaded ends of the brass screws are peened. Thus, eliminating the need for tightening with a torque wrench. If properly peened the screws can not back out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Lets back up a step here. If your spools are the original aluminum ones and are doing a full redo of the flywheel I suggest replacing them. If they are the brass ones ok. If you are just replacing the ring gear you should be ok but check the aluminum ones for cracks.
After you check/set the magnets for height get them good and tight then peen the ends. After peenning it's a good idea to recheck the screws to make sure they did not come loose and redo as needed.

You are using the brass hammer to compress the spool and as the spools are compressed you need to take up the slack in the screw.

Better way is to put a brass shim under the spool if too low, thickness of shim as needed or to take a little off the top if too tall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Thanks for your input, I guess my concern is over tightening the screws to where they might brake. I am replacing the ring gear and the spools are in good shape.
So it sounds like I should use a 12" screw driver, then make the brass screws snug and a little bit more? Maybe it's not possible to over tighten with a 12" screwdriver? I was toying with the idea of using a hammer driver to tighten the screws, maybe not a good idea? Thanks again
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

You don't rap the screws, you rap the plate, and it's a good idea to use a KRW gap gauge to get them all even.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration