New member of broken rear axle club

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New member of broken rear axle club
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Friday (june 22nd) I became member of the broken axle club:

Fortunately it was just 20 yards from my driveway, and since I immidiately knew that the foot brake would not work, I manage to stop and park. It was late and dark, so above picture was what I found in the morning.
I jacked up the wheel and took it off to see the broken axle:

Typical fatigue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

Bummer...scary to !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Michael: I too am a member! I broke one but it was in my Ruckstell Rear axles, and I was about less than 1000 feet from home. The break on mine was like looking at the end of a banana, somewhat round pointed on the end. Oh well it is in my shop waiting to be finished. Oh and by the time we towed it home the axle and wheel was out about the same as your 1st photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I also broke an axle while driving slow in my pasture. I replaced with a good used axle with no further problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Are the new "Texas T" axles OK these days? We all know there was problems with a batch 7 years ago, but I assume that are all history?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Just the reason I put in Floating axle hubs. I've seen real bad things happen when the axle breaks at speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

OT, but one time years ago I was following an old Chevy pickup in north county St. Louis. One of his axle retaining C-clips must have broken, because his passenger side rear wheel and axle started winding its way out of the housing. I backed off and watched in fascination as it wound itself completely out, at which point that corner of the truck dropped. The driver cooly pulled over to the shoulder and I went on by.

Funny how things like that stick in your memory. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Many years ago I was with my Mom driving her 1975 AMC Matador. We were coming down the long hill that comes into the town of Clinton Arkansas where we lived. The passenger side rear wheel bearing and its retainer had failed and the entire axle, still attached to the rear wheel and brake drum came out of the rear end. Like you said, the car dropped on that side and Mom just pulled to the side as the car came to a halt. But in the meantime the tire with the axle attached was still wanting to go on down the road at about 50 miles per hour. It somehow had got behind our car and as it rolled and wobbled, it ran over our own car. It jumped up on the trunk, the axle beat a dent in the roof and one in the hood as the tire and axle assembly went over us. Then it continued wobbling and rolling on down the hill on Hwy 65 crossing the center line and then off into the ditch and kept going. It jumped a fence and went into a persons yard just before it went thru a giant fiberglass satellite dish about 12 feet in diameter (remember those big dishes :-)) Any way the point of the story is when the satellite dish blew up into 100s of pieces, that is a memory that I can still and always will remember. I believe I was about 15 or 16 years old then ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:06 am:

I had the same problem just last May, the break looks close to your break. The axles were bought in 2011 from Lang's. The wear on the opposite axle was so bad that I changed it also. I found some real good used ones that I trust more.

That is just wrong for axles that new,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Donnie:

That is in incredible story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Too bad, I have just the thing for that situation...

And I've never had the opportunity to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

I'm with Will. I've used the "floating style " rear wheel bearings for many years. I make my own

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration