Vehicle Identification Number Locations - 1914

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Vehicle Identification Number Locations - 1914
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Newbie question.. I have read a bunch of threads on serial numbers and locations of them. My car is a 1914 Runabout pick-up conversion and I am trying to find any info I can on the car. The engine is stamped 572112 (late 14). But the engine is a 1919 + because it has a generator location on the block and a starter and two valve cover plates. It also has an NH carb so the engine likely 1920 or so. Makes me think that the owner may have had ford replace the motor with a new one and they stamped it with the original car number. That is my running theory... I understand this was not uncommon… I would like to verify the car number – more for fun than anything else… The title VIN number is a California assigned number – so that is no help… I cannot find any other numbers on the car. The Patent tag is blank. There are no numbers on the seat riser except a large letter “B” (Beaudette) but no numbers.. The floor boards have been replaced. Are there any other places to look? Any ideas on how to verify a number? Thanks in advance!!! I continue to be amazed at the collective knowledge available at this site. What a resource!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

The only VIN# was on the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Actually, on a '14 there was a "car number" on the patent plate on the firewall that differed some thousands from the engine number, usually lower.
The car number was never used for registration so it was dropped by Ford some time during the 1915 model year.

(Message edited by Roger K on July 24, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Look under the front seat on the wood seat frame for the body number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

On my 1914 Touring there is a body number under the front of the drivers seat. It is F followed by sixdigits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Yes, the engine serial number was used as the VIN. Your guess about your engine's number is correct. Replacement engines came with their own serial numbers, but replacement blocks were unnumbered, to be stamped with the number of the engine they were replacing. Your post-19 engine with that 1914 serial number would be a replacement block.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration