Ruxtel question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ruxtel question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

You guys will have to excuse me with all my questions but I have a lot to learn and figgure asking is the the best way to learn. So, when I start my tt it will want to creep forward a little. I looked in the Ford book at adjusting the bands. It says to tighten the low band and lock it with the lock nut on the right side of the transmission. I have also read where the peddle should bottom out about 3/4" to 1" from the floor boards. Mine bottoms out about 2" from the floor. I have not messed with anything as yet. Thought I better ask first. So what is the procedure? Do I adjust the peddle travel with the adjuster on the right side of the transmission and cuer my problem? Also with the truck idling in neutral or with the parking brake on, if I try to shift the Ruxtel it will want to grind. I am thinking that this is not normal as the Ruxtel is behind the transmission. If not what might be causing the problem? Thanks Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

First of all it is a Ruckstell not a Ruxtel. and you have to be moving to shift it. It may, or may not shift when standing still as the gears have to be in line to shift. It should not growl when you shift it, If it does something is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Thank you for your response. I will not worry about it as long as it shifts correctly when moving. Any ideas on my other question? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

It does sound like your low band is adjusted tighter than it needs to be. Creeping in neutral can be reduced by proper band and high clutch linkage adjustment. Follow the procedure below (posted many times in the past on the forum).

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Most all Model T's will creep forward some when they are cold, I have the modern disk's in mine and it will still creep a little. Iv heard of some guys that were able to stop it but for the most part they will all do this. I will either put a small 2 X 4 in front of the back tires if or just hold down the brake if I know I'm leaving with the car. Might help to check your brake drum adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Mark, it sounds to me like you have some type of accessory transmission not a ruckstell because you said it is behind the Ford transmission. A ruckstell is located in the rear axle. As long as everything is in good shape and adjusted properly a T should not creep even if it's cold out. If your clutch pedal is stopping 2" away from the floor then your band is too tight. Back the adjustment off so that the pedal shops about 1" away from the floor. Now loosen the jamb nut on the clutch pedal linkage and pull out the clevis pin. Put the brake lever fully forward and pull the clutch pedal back as far as it will go. Adjust the length of the link so that the hole in the clevis lines up with the hole in the clutch lever and install the clevis pin. Make sure you have a little slop in the pedal then lock the jamb nut and install a new cotter pin. Now hold the pedal in neutral with your foot and pull the brake lever back. Run the bolt in the clutch lever in until it touches the cam on the brake lever then go about 1/2 turn more and tighten the nut.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration