Fan Bracket Bolt - Nut Size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fan Bracket Bolt - Nut Size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 09:49 am:

I discovered yesterday that the bolt holding the fan bracket had backed out letting the bracket move and the fan belt go slack. It did so because I never got around to putting a nut on it.

What size is the nut and it is normal height?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:39 am:

There is no nut on the bolt that holds the fan bracket to the timing gear cover. You need to put a long cotter pin in the hole to prevent it from backing out. I bend one leg over the end and leave the other more or less straight depending on where the hole line up.

If you are asking about the tension bolt it's 3/8 24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Doesn't take a nut - the block is threaded behind the timing gear cover. The bolt size is 1/2" fine and there supposed to be a cotter pin installed to keep it from backing out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Thanks Mark. I wondered about that. There never was one there when I pulled it out of the barn years ago. In the course of the recent engine rebuild I guess I got things too clean and it backs out now. I see it is cross drilled but there doesn't appear to be room for a full sized nut. Thanks. I will try that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:46 am:

and thanks to Steve also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Glad to oblige.

Suggestion: verify belt tension AFTER tightening arm pivot bolt - sometimes they get a bit too tight after snugging it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

To avoid that Steve I simple removed the belt! (On the Touring)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

After adjusting everything, before you put the cotter pin in, check stuff again as they can, and do move while tightening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

thanks to all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration