Fast Frank can you tell us about your thick cored radiator in #22

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fast Frank can you tell us about your thick cored radiator in #22
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york, Boise Id. on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Can you tell us about the radiator in #22, thanks
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Yes Jim. I have a friend who is now retired from his own radiator shop but when he was still working I had him build a custom radiator for me.

When we purchased #22 it had a double row radiator which only cooled for short races. The car boiled on tours and parades so we installed an electric fan. That worked fairly well but it still heated up at all of the wrong times.

I went to "Radiator Ralph" who was good at making thick radiators for T-buckets with Chevrolet V8's and automatic transmissions in them.

He made a custom thicker top and bottom tank and used a core that was as thick as the two tanks. He put a dummy top filler tube so we could screw a decorative radiator cap on it and fitted a filler port on the left back side with a modern 7 1/2 pound pressure cap. We re-installed the electric fan because we were told that a fan can rob several horsepower from an engine and a T needs all of the horsepower it can get.. We installed a modern over-flow bottle on the firewall and the whole system was a winner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Frank,

How about a tour of the entire build?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

STEVE, THE RADIATOR OR THE ENTIRE CAR ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Frank, Well Iam glad you offered everything. Can you start when you got the bare frame and they found all the other parts? Oh and do please include the radiator build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Well I meant the car. Not that the radiator isn't cool (no pun intended), but unless you have a thumper on the other end of it you've pretty much covered it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york, Boise Id. on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 01:14 am:

Thanks Frank for the explanation, do you have any picts of it by itself? Do you know how thick it was? 2, 2 1/2 , 3" or more. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks again Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration