1916 touring body number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1916 touring body number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Krawchuk on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Can anyone tell me if the body number gives any information about the car (as a VIN number does on modern cars)?
The numbers, I think, are 616105344. The body number is located on the passengers side, between the door and firewall, right at the edge of the floor mat.

Thank you:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

It really only has the date, 616 (June 1916) to offer. Otherwise it is just an identification number for the dealer to use if the customer needed to order replacement body parts. It was a way for the factory to be able to locate where the body came from, so that the proper replacement part could be shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Krawchuk on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

One of the ongoing searches for information about Ts and how they were built, is how that date (June '16) relates to the engine/chassis assembly date? There seem to be some trends developing, but a lot of exceptions also.
Do you know if you have the original engine number with this car? (Many model Ts lost their original numbers with engine changes.) If you do have the engine number? Can you give us the day it was said to have been built? Also, maybe the casting date of the block? It has become interesting to see the various lag times between the various points of manufacturing.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Krawchuk on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

As far as we know, all is original. The engine number is 1337908, that should put it's "birthday", July 8, 1916 and the casting number is 7 1 16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Thank you. That fits into what appears to be the norm.
Engine casting dates usually are about one week to one month before the so-called manufacturer date. Manufacturer date is often the following month from the body manufacturer's "date", but often can be the second month also. Occasionally, a Ford manufacturer date can even predate the body's date. Not sure how that can come about, unless the chassis sat for a month before the body arrived. At least a couple apparent examples have body dates about six months off from the chassis date. I would suspect an engine change, although a few seem to be certain that was not the case.
So, I am still trying to sort some of it out.
Again, thank you. And enjoy that '16!
By the way. Some pictures of it would be nice. (Some people are never satisfied!)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Karen-
Happy Century Mark to your car.
: ^ )
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Krawchuk on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 05:20 am:

Here is a picture from the tour in Albuquerque in June. A few days after we got home, we had a 100th birthday party for her! The things we do for our cars:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Looks wonderful--wish my '16 was looking like that! By that time frame though, the headlight rims should be black too. Just sayin'!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

Beautiful car! I look forward to my '15 runabout looking half as nice. It is getting there slowly.
Thank you for sharing the photo!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Krawchuk on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:33 am:

Thank you!
David, yes, we are aware of the brass rims, but we sure do like the look!
Wayne, I have no doubt that your car will be beautiful! Most importantly, enjoy driving it, and of course, enjoy everyone that you meet because of your piece of history:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Karen,

I didn't know our cars were so close together in their build dates. Our motor number is 1331205, which makes it a July 5 build, and the block was cast on June 29. Our body is a Wilson body, and the body number is W516 206081. Apparently your body was made by one of the other builders.

Ron and Linda Dupree

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration