The Ultimate Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The Ultimate Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

I found this and thought it was absurdly cool. My garage is a disaster of random parts and tools and stuff just sort of explodes everywhere when I'm working on a project. I'm sure the same thing would happen to me in this garage, but at least the end everything has a place to go.

http://12-gaugegarage.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

That is just too neat and orderly for its own good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Garage is great and the 911 isn't shabby either

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Hate it. Has all the character of a sterilized plastic box. Where is the rust, dust, old cool stuff ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

OT, but nice '65 Coronet convertible! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Burger, I'd like to see your lantern collection. My dad has collected lanterns for years and has over 100 hanging in his basement man cave. Every time I go up for a visit I have to bring a couple home with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Different strokes for different folks Burger. Some folks prefer orderly. The article is a good read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

It could have more cool old stuff decorating it, but I really liked how organized it is and all of the places that became work benches. And the hidden lift was really cool. Thought y'all would like to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Burger's Garage is a never ending story

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Dennis,

Stop & see his insulator collection.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

I prefer orderly too, Gary. But making your shop look like a Tupperware-made laboratory ?

I guess this is where "different strokes for different folks" plays in. Looks like a great place
to commit suicide or some psycho to kill young children to me. And I am failing to understand
the disconnect ... a T guy is drawn to a sputtering, oil leaking, cantankerous old hunk of
steaming junk. To my mind, this means old barns, patinaed brass, rusty metal, weathered wood,
and relics of an organic past. Not some surgical center for OCD neat freaks ! That turbocharged
plastic wankermobile is the perfect fit for that garage. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

The Coronet is a '66 ... 440/4-speed/3.23 Posi. Stupidly overpowered.

Insulators, Frankenstein hardware, lanterns, you name it .... come on by
and have a beer and a laugh. It's an open invite if anyone is passing through
Spokanistan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

An ultimate garage contains a Model T and a Model A.
The T is ready to drive and the A is ready for a new motor.
It has an air compressor, four tool boxes, two jacks and a motor hoist.
In the winter the A ant T fit front to back and the other side houses a Chrysler Town and Country van.
In the summer the van goes outside and the A is moved to the side so it can be worked on.
It is significantly better than working under a tarp in the yard during the rainy season.

Did I mention that it is in NH and close to where I am sitting?

FYI. It isn't how fancy your garage is - it is the quality of the work you do in the space you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Fred, you nailed it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Spotless garages look nice,but??? I taught Auto Body at a trade school. There was also another class. The other instructors classroom was always spotless, mine on the other hand was not. The difference was he had the students working on fenders on the floor, not even on benches, as they wouldn't look perfect anymore. I on the other hand had 14 bays in the classroom, and a car in everyone. The administration loved him because they could bring all the higher administration members from surrounding schools through his classroom, and the cleanliness was impressive. They would look around my classroom and wanted to know why mine wasn't like his. I would always tell them, look around both rooms again and tell me what they saw. I said if you actually want me to teach a trade, get use to it. Then they wouldn't bring it up again for awhile.This other teacher told everyone that he knew more about auto body than anyone else, and they actually believed him. Looks do count.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

HAS A PORSCHE IN IT !!! My shelves will hold 2 pallets (7,000 pounds) Just a red neck in Bellingham, wa, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

The garage I have right now is in a newer house but has a 70 mustang and 26,27,29 sedan and 30 coupe in the garages bur I am selling of stuff I don't need for my cars I just don't have the room to store it all, the extra stuff or core. Some of its going to a swap meet next month the older I get the neater I fell I shoud keep my stuff but my pop is the opposite. He likes every thing. I just have T and A part and some of
My drag race stuff in there now. Hope to build a nice garage this fall but just for car storage. No extras. I keep most of my parts I a enclosed trailer but getting in it us a hassle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Fred,

I disagree.

The ultimate garage in NH has both a Model N and a Model T in it.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 12:19 am:

http://www.customfurniture.net/index_files/Page1281.htm
Has 2 Model A's 2 Model T's a 37 Ford, 66 Mustang and a 57 t Bird.
This is a working garage,Have pulled multiple engines, Spray painted 4 cars, multiple tranny swaps and everything else you'd expect in a car guy garage. About the only thing I haven't used in here is a welder. The floor (Race Deck) is plastic and oil/grease doesn't bother it at all, just wipe it up.
Look closely you'll find gas pumps, vending machines, signs, and just about anything dateing back as far as 1908 (one of the pumps. It may not be your cup of tea, but it suits me and the wife.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Olsen on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:17 am:

I just saw got an email about a bunch of hits from this site. Thanks for stopping by, guys.

I wouldn't call my shop an ultimate garage, though. It's a small garage put together on a tight budget. Just about everything in it is second-hand, repurposed or home-made. Most of the cabinets were damaged when I got them. That's why I could afford them. For example, the main tool box is two Lista cabinets made about 20-years apart that I cut up and welded back together into one set.

Along the same lines, the old Porsche is made up of components from different 911s from model years 1965 to 2000. Purists might take exception with a lot of what I've done, but I didn't build the car (or the shop, for that matter) for them. They didn't put much plastic in them in 1972. It's not a T, but it has its share of leaks and character.

I did all of the work on the place myself, including setting the tile, building the benches, and digging the pit for the lift and working out how to (re-)use a second-hand industrial hydraulic table as an automotive lift in the first place.

And while the place is cleaned up and pretty for the pictures. It gets a lot of use -- not just for work on my cars, but also a decent amount of carpentry and metal fabrication. If you check out the thread on the garage at the Garage Journal site, you'll find a couple hundred pages of discussion of stuff I've done in the garage.

This picture was taken during a suspension overhaul and engine rebuild. The car doesn't have a turbo in it, but it goes pretty well at the local track.

/image

It's a city garage. If I had more room to use, I'd spread out and use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Jack, i find your garage great for its purpose and location, ignore the pompous critics, i certainly would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 05:09 am:

As long as you are working on the things that you enjoy, it is the ultimate garage!
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:53 am:

For me the ultimate garage has enough room to get non projects out of the way so I can concentrate on the job at hand. My barn has always been multi purpose since I run my business of 40 years on the same property where I live so the barn is also used to repair tractors and farming implements besides the autos. Welding here on the property is imperative and removing and lifting tractor tires for repair that weigh 550 pounds is a huge chore that takes up space.
I fInally solved my problem by installing 360 feet of commercial shelving where each section can hold up to 3,000 pounds at 10 feet above the floor. I have taken implements such as plows, harrows and 4 mowers and lift them onto the shelves with one of the tractors. This frees up the floor area for work projects. The largest implement I store on the shelves is a 8 foot wide disc harrow that weighs 1200 pounds.
Freeing up floor space makes up the ultimate garage for me plus having a commercial air compressor piped to every area of the barn so any air tool can be used anywhere inside with a short hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Jack - you have a great garage (period - no qualifiers) and I really enjoyed reading the article. I'd give anything to have that lift in mine. Piecing together anything - Porsche, Model A, Model T - to get another one back on the road is impressive.

As John said, every site on the internet has it's fair share of resident pompous, obnoxious blowhards who love to babble on about nothing and live to criticize everything. They rarely, if ever, contribute something of technical substance because they're out of their depth when it comes to anything beyond making idiotic and insulting comments on "soft topics" which they see as "wry humor" or "ironic observations." Ignore 'em - you have a great garage, a great car and the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Haha when I saw that Jack had posted I thought "No way! He has Model T's too?!?" But it would make sense and its part of what I thought this crowd would like about what he did - it's all repurposed or fixed and he didn't spend gobs of money.

I'm sure lots of guys on here have these sprawling garages with 10 cars inside and all the room they could want to work on anything. I, and the rest of us average people, have much less space and money to work with so I found his ideas and craftsmanship to be brilliant. From the Swiss army table to cabinet with all the fastener bins to the fold down welding table, these are all great and I will shamelessly copy a bunch of things.

Anyway, sorry Jack for the crotchety folks, but there are plenty of guys on here I'm sure enjoyed seeing your garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:36 am:

When you need more room to work on your car there is always the kitchen!

If you decide to use the kitchen please tell us the address of the funeral home before starting the project. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Fred, Did your wife catch you cleaning up a hogs head in the dishwasher again? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:35 am:

We have a garage and also a farm shop but the only thing i can brag about are my Grandkid's!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Top notch. Has a very heavy-industrial "steel age" look about it. The kind of industrial setting where the very cars and tools we love were built by the craftsmen we admire. No shame in having quality stuff. Everything in there has a purpose and you've squeezed efficiency out of every square inch of space. There's nothing else I can say that Ron didn't already say better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Olsen on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Thanks! When I was maybe 6 or 7, my father worked for a company called Fansteel in Chicago. And I have a very vague (and probably inaccurate) memory of a machine shop I sometimes got to hang out at back then. The green color and early-seventies origins for a lot of my tools and cabinets is a nod to that place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Wow Letcher that looks like a place the American Pickers would visit, Impressive collection!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration