Oil screen affects service brake?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil screen affects service brake?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry Hibbs on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

I have just installed an oil screen, and noticed right afterwards that the service brake seemed even less effective than usual.
After watching THIS VIDEO, it appears that a lot more oil may get shoved back on the brake drum as a possible explanation.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I out to lunch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

I haven't noticed the braking being any worse when using the screen. I did notice that the guy in the video really does need to change that filthy oil.

I put the magnet up on the flat area so it blocks none of the screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry Hibbs on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Good thought on the magnet. No one else seems to see any braking difference either, so guess I'm imagining things. In general, I think it's good, all that oil being chucked back there, though I have read contrary opinions here. Actually, contrariness and geezer-ness seem to be forum distinctions. And, like the oil chucking around, all to the good, I say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Both of my T's have the screen and I didn't notice any difference in braking before and after the screen.

What the video don't show is: after a few minutes there is less oil coming over the screen because it is all over the engine and less in the oil pan.

Just put a plastic cover on your transmission and drive it. You will see the difference.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Like Steve I put it on the flat part also. I also use 3 thin earth magnets, One on top and one on each side of the holes. Earth magnets are much stronger and takes up less room. I read in a post awhile back someone enlarged the holes some for better flow to the bands. I might do that or maybe add more smaller holes the next time I take out the filter for cleaning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

I have oil screens in three of my cars. So far as I know there is not an oil screen that fits the 1910 transmission cover, otherwise it would have one too.

I don't notice any effect on braking. The bands are always immersed in oil, screen or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

I've haven't noticed any effect of the screen on the braking ability but, my car does drip more oil out of the 4th main. That's what the cardboard under the car is for. :-)

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

If you have Ruckstell, you will find that the braking improves while in Ruckstell. I haven't noticed whether the screen affects the braking, but I also use Rocky Mountain brakes.

Could it be that you adjusted the brake at the same time you installed the screen?
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration