A Ride in my stumbling 1924

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Ride in my stumbling 1924
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

https://youtu.be/esuQP1VyOT4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

A piece of foam rubber over the microphone might cut down some of that wind noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 25, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Yikes -

You have the spark lever in the advance position while starting. Not good. Read the owners manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Timing must be way off or you would have broken the starter Bendix by now. The car is very hard to start, and sounds rich when it does start.

A basic tune up and some driving lessons would make a huge difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:02 am:

I hope you have safety glass for your windshield! Also, you don't need a wiring harness clip for you side curtains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Great car and nice video. Thanks for taking us for a ride.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Nice car and video. I can remember years and years ago when an old 60+yr. old Model T mentor was helping me getting my 24 Coupe to running and driving condition before I restored it 30 plus years later.

I had already been driving it some but when he got in it and took us for a ride I thought WOW! how smooth he can drive it!

It took a while for me to get the smooth technique down but I did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Been 4+ years since we sold our T's. I appreciate a ride anytime I can get one :-) No longer an owner, but will forever remain an enthusiast. Thanks for the lift!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Chris,

You need to seek out a local Model T owner to help you get the timing set properly. You will be shocked at the difference in performance. The "chugging" is because you don't have any power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

I suspect he might have an ignition system with automatic spark advance, because the starter didn't sound like a kick. It sounded like when you keep the starter spinning after the engine starts. It probably started on one cylinder which spun the bendix back but the engine didn't continue to run.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Thank you all.

I will read up on adjusting the timing rod. So far I have not found any other Model T enthusiasts living here near Nashville, TN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

He's been posting about the car operating on timer and coils Norman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

By the way, I was testing my new video camera sunglasses when I recorded that video yesterday. I will record another ride soon with the windshield closed and apologize for so much wind noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

I have discovered a "New Day" timer under the hood and am waiting for new coils to arrive this week.

Thank you all for so much good advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Chris, I'm just going to echo what Royce has already said because right now it's the best advice you'll receive. Your car is very nice and you obviously take very good care of it. But at this stage of your Model T ownership it'd be a real good time to have someone with some adequate Model T Ford knowledge spend some time checking out your car and what you've learned so far.
Also, I think I'm a bit obligated to tell you, and you may already realize, that, ahem, that ah, well, that is not the shade of black Henry had in mind. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Haha, thanks Michael.

Someone painted this "John Deere" before I bought it. I'm thinking seriously about painting the green white and chroming the radiator and headlight rings for wedding jobs, but that's another topic for another thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Here is today's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHU7il6KJg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Chris, I think the second drive was much better. If you don't mind, I do have a couple of comments. One, you can pretty easily tell when you need to shift down to low. I think it's better to shift than to lug the engine down so far. Two, I never use the reverse band as a brake. I think that is bad advice. It is very common to find a cracked reverse drum when you tear down a transmission, and using it for a brake just adds to the likelihood of causing it to crack. The brake was designed to slow down and stop the car. Reverse was not. When you are approaching a stop, allow plenty of room and pump the brake pedal to allow the oil to keep the band and drum lubricated.

I live in Three Way, just a couple of miles north of Jackson, TN, not that far from you. I would be more than happy to help you out if you need it. Do you have a trailer for your car? You can PM me and maybe we can set something up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Thank You, Dennis!

I can rent a trailer for $30 a day as needed. My limo business needs me on weekends so a weekday is most likely if that works for you.

I will PM you now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Do NOT use reverse as a brake. The reverse drum is not near as "beefy" as the brake drum and will not withstand use as a brake. In short, it will become a "break" drum. Also, the reverse gears are very narrow and will wear quickly when braking forces are exerted through them.

You don't need to turn the ignition off when you're using the choke.

Don't be afraid to open the throttle a bit further when starting.

And PLEASE, don't run stop signs. It gives our hobby a bad reputation. It's bad enough that we drive slow and make fumes. Let's not call attention to ourselves by intentionally breaking traffic laws too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Thank You, Jerry!

The rationale for braking with Reverse is printed in the Model T transmission book I bought. I will post pics.

When my new coils arrive this week I hope it runs well enough for better stop and go driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Chris, here's a page on setting the timing: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html This will work with your New Day timer.

Mitch Taylor has some good videos on starting and driving: http://www.fordmodelt.net/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Thank You!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

Chris, much better. It appeared you ran the entire trip with your switch on battery. Is this correct? I noticed you're doing a lot of adjusting on your spark advance. Maybe more than necessary. My suggestion, for what it worth is start your car with the switch on battery and the spark advance lever all the way up, throttle lever down a few clicks. When the motor starts, immediately advance the spark advance lever until the motor evens out. Once there back the throttle back down without killing the motor and then switch to magneto on the switch and leave it there. Now you should be ready to go. It should not be necessary for you to mess with the spark again unless some very minor adjustments provide smoother running and more power. One other observation is that your choke button seems to be hanging out a long way. What's up with that? Also to reiterate what others have said, it's a reverse pedal, not a brake/reverse pedal. Use it for reverse only.

Oh, and I can't believe you haven't corrected the color of that car yet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Ha
Thx Michael!

Battery power is still needed for low RPMs but I hope that changes when the 4 new coils arrive this week from the Coilman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

I ordered a new choke rod and am waiting for it.
Used magneto once underway above idle, but slipping high gear makes me back off power via spark at low RPMs and only slowly nudge throttle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Maybe before you do any timing adjustments, better advice would be to first make sure there are no worn out fittings between the timer lever, timer rod and the timer itself. Going thru instructions to set timing is a waste of time if everything is loose instead of snug.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Let us know when you get those Coilman coils in it and test it. With good coils and once you dial in that carb, it'll do much better for you. :-)
I'm anxious to see a couple of flops on the starter and "it's running"!!! :-) I hand crank mine.
Just watched your second video (nice area to toodle around in by the way!) and thought I'd see how my roadster performed as I figured it'd do high "gear" at almost any speed. I wasn't certain. A 6-40 K can do it, I thought my little Ford should be able to also. A "Look what I can do!" mentality... :-/
It wasn't happy with it (I need a rear end rebuild-like 18 years ago) but the engine and clutch are very well suited to it. I do have a turbo 400 clutch pack in mine so it's not as forgiving as the original clutch and mine has a wore out engine. You'll get there! Keep playing!
Haha! Your car may be heavier than mine tho. It has all that paint on it. :-)
I should fly down to see you and your Ford, I'd love to fiddle with it alongside you and rip on it a bit. We could even MAKE a carb control rod for it. Piece of cake.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Got the new coils today and posted video under another thread! Runs great now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

https://youtu.be/rX1RTdOw7bc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Thanks coilman! It now idles on magneto and can shift into high smoothly at low RPM. I also tightened the high gear clutch so it did not slip at all today!

(Message edited by Laughary on July 27, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Thx Duey! Cmon down anytime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Officer: "Do you realize that you missed a stop sugn back there?"

Model T driver: "Whew! Thank God! It was a narrow miss."

Officer: "How's this old thing running?"

Model T driver: "Mostly downhill. She only walks uphill, and sorta canters on flat ground."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration