Title in MA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Title in MA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

I just bought a barn find 1923 "T: in CT. The car has not been registered in years and CT has no titles for old cars. How can I register it in MA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Look on the web and find a bonded title service that has experience with old cars in your state.

It will save you time, headaches and misery going through the process for getting a title.

If you got a bill of sale for it when you bought it that will help.

A bonded title service will have the answers and know what questions to ask when acquiring a title. Each state and situation is different to an extent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Simple find someone you trust in NH and have them register the vehicle. It will take an inspection (verification) of the motor number so it will need to be in NH. Then have them "sell" the vehicle to you with a bill of sale. Since NH is not a title state for old vehicles you can easily transfer it to Mass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Don't understand why there is such a fear of doing your homework and dealing directly with the respective state DMV. You can't get into trouble by calling directly and asking questions.

There is no situation that is so new or unique that they have not seen before.

Also, most state DMVs have websites that are very consumer friendly and motor vehicle laws are easy to research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Tom,
When I bought my runabout in Connecticut, asked my insurance agent what I needed for registration & title in Massachusetts. He said old car bought out of state does not need title from sold state. However to apply for a Massachusetts title have the bill of sale noterized by someone in Connecticut and you should have no problem. This worked for me six years ago. Recommend checking with your insurance agent if this is still the process. The registry will try make you pay sales tax on a restored car. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Maciver on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Buying From a Private IndividualComplete and sign the Application for Registration and Title (Form RMV-1).Take the RMV-1 application to your insurance agent to have it signed and stamped.Get the completed title from the seller. Check for the following information on the back of the title:
―The seller's printed name and signature.
―The date of sale.
―The car's purchase price.
―The vehicle's odometer reading

If the vehicle is exempt from having a title due to age:

Get from the seller the vehicle's latest registration certificate.Have the seller make out a bill of sale, as described above.

Take all the documents to your local MA RMV office along with payment for the following fees:

$75 title fee.Any possible additional fees based on the type of vehicle, or if you opt for specialized license plates.

You have 7 days to get a vehicle inspection sticker. The title will be sent to you within 2 to 4 weeks.

NOTE: You must submit your title application within 10 days of the sale dat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Freds advice is easiest. You will still need title and when sold back to you you can request nh to generate a title. I plan on this route through my vt resident brother. My speedster has no title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Btw tom, glad you found a car! Keep in touch! My car will be roadable in late spring 2017. Being so close let me know when you need help

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration