So what is this part 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: So what is this part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

So now that I know what this part is and that it is used in conjunction with a horn/light switch, can it also be used with the other style switch for 1918?

Also is there a wiring diagram that shows how the parts should be wired?

I noticed that I can buy a combo switch from Mac's but I was wondering who else would sell them and is the bracket on the steering column the same for both styles or?

I need the bracket, button and or combo switch, thoughts?

thanks guys.

photo of part

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

I believe 1918 had Magneto headlights. This is an inductor used to control the voltage to the light bulbs to prevent burnout at hi RPM.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

The firewall mounted switch from 1915 into part of the 1918 model year is on/off only.

The combination horn button/light switch introduced in the 1918 model year has two on positions and one off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Ok so I have a new on-off switch, would this work with the inductor if I am not able to find the correct parts for the horn/light combo?

still looking for answers to the above questions.

See my earlier what is this thread.

thanks.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

With the push pull switch, you would need to decide if you want to wire directly to the magneto or if you want to put the dimmer into the circuit so the lights would always be dim in the "on" position. In other words, the with the push pull switch you could do either or but not both because the switch has only two positions, on and off.

If you wanted to have the option of both direct and dim, then you would have to figure out a way to switch between the two. Is not hard to figure out if you understand simple electric circuits.

Here is how the lights were wired 1915 through early 1918 model year with the push pull switch on the dash. Note that the circuit was originally grounded to a radiator fin from the factory, not to the radiator stud as shown.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/219941.html?1309378046

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

Mark-
The dimmer unit is used with a headlight horn combo switch. It needs a two position switch to with the dimmer in. Here is a pic I harvested (somebody help me with credit here) of a car with the dimmer in place:

Here is how it is wired:

I have an April 1919 touring. It has no starter, no generator, and used the two position light switch. Although I now have a resistance unit in my garage, it is not on the car. After playing with various lighting configurations over the years, I now have the headlights wired up to a battery, so the lighting is constant.

However, I was not able to use the combo switch because I have a magneto horn. I could either use a battery horn, or put in a different switch. I opted for the different switch.

Good luck.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

This is very helpful guys, thank you very much. Now I need to find parts. My truck had a horn mounted to the firewall, how do I know if it is correct or not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

The original magneto horns for the 1918 model year were mounted to the firewall so it sounds like you have the correct horn.

If you post a photo, we can give you a definite answer.

Here is a photo of the 1917 "Rip Van Winkle" touring. The horn location/mounting is the same as a 1918 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:08 am:

According to the Rip photo I have the correct horn. Thanks. Anybody have the combo switch and wiring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:34 am:

You can buy the wire from Langs. It's the same wire that is used for the headlamps.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5042W.aspx

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration