Information; Import Parts from Canada

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Information; Import Parts from Canada
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Anyone have recent information about what it takes to import Model T parts from Canada. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

You buy them they ship them and the postal person drops them at your door.
Your question is open ended. A few parts, a whole truck load? As a private party a business?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

A hole body and as a private party.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Mike
Are you planning to haul it yourself or have it shipped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Have it brought down to the border.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

If you haul it over yourself the only problem you should have is satisfying the curiosity of the boarder guard wanting to see your prize. I brought a whole car down from BC in 2006, the boarder guard was so distracted that he didn't do his job and when I went to license it I had to make another trip so the border patrol could inspect and sign off on the serial number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

If you are crossing the border into Canada be sure your passport or required documents are in order. Be sure to check what is allowed to be brought into Canada. (no guns etc). I would check with the border dept for latest info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

You can bring it in yourself MUCH easier than a Canadian can bring it across. The same applies going the other direction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

We go to the Canadian Swap meet in B/C every May. We take a pickup and we 3 guys we often find a pretty good haul.

At the US border we just tell the Home Land Security guy its all from the US and he waves us thru.

I often purchase used auto parts from a Canadian wrecking yard due to the 24% discount. Even as a business there is a very small charge of $13.05 US to bring anything across, as long as you have a North American vin number on the recpt.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:19 am:

I would make sure besides passports, etc that I had a clearly written "official looking" bill of sale from the seller stating the value. Sometimes it pays to ask around. Some border crossings are definitely 'pickier' than others. Don't cross at a busy time, but don't do it in the middle of the night either. Do it in daylight when the customs folks can get a good look at what your bringing in. 50 years of crossing the border has taught me to expect delays, cranky personnel, and inconsistently applied procedures. Be patient, direct, honest, and business-like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:38 am:

My policy is simple
1. Tell no lies
2. Volenteer nothing
3. Don't get "cute"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Kevin and Les nailed it. Call ahead to the border crossing you're using in order to ask what they want to see, and don't play any games with them.

Having said that, if it's just a body (no serial number or title with it) I would refer to it as "parts."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

No need to stop at the border but you need to know two things...

1) How fast is your truck?

2) Do you have bullet proof glass?

:-):-):-):-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration