Roadster running boards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Roadster running boards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 01:59 am:

The running boards on my roadster are rubber covered wooden affairs. On the originals, ordinary coach bolts are used to attach them to the frame and the fenders to the board. The heads were sunk into the board and the square under the head was all that stopped the bolt turning.

I thought of using T nuts on the underside to make the bolts captive in the board, but that would still allow them to turn. Here is my eventual answer.

The tabs are welded to the underside of countersunk metalthreads.

The rubber covering is an exact replica of the original material. It is new old stock I bought at a swap meet years ago.

The aluminium edging is very close to the original stuff. It has two more ribs and is a little wider.

Working on this car is a therapeutic distraction for me. Our 44 year old elder son is suffering from leukodystrophy an is presently in hospital being rehydrated on drip because he has difficulty swallowing. Then he is due to have a tube fitted so he can be fed as required if he cannot take foods orally. His happy disposition makes it all worthwhile, but the constant care is draining while we are able to keep him at home. He is on a down hill journey, but we have no idea how long or steep the hill is.

Thank you all for your interest in my project.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 03:10 am:

Running boards are looking good!
Saddens me to hear about the family trouble. One of the toughest things to deal with in life is a young friend or family with a health problem robbing them of a life they enjoy. One of the reasons for my usual closing is that I have lost several friends to various illnesses that no one should have to suffer from. We all need to enjoy life as well as we can.
A son or daughter in such a thing is one of the most difficult of all. However, you still do need to take care of you.
Sending hopes and wishes your way.
Wayne and Linda Sheldon
Drive carefully, and enjoy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration