Light up my back side !!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Light up my back side !!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Here's my problem, hate to do it but I have NO CHOICE. At the end of my driveway is a state highway, posted @ 45mph (that's a joke)!!! If you get caught in the morning and going home traffic, well you must have a death wish. Furthermore, I found out recently that they no longer teach hand signals in drivers ed. I'd like to find a tail/brake light that looks somewhat similar to a drum tail light, and it has to be a bright red LED. I'm also going to put nice looking amber directionals on my "driver's". I'll need 6V and 12V brake/tail lights. Bright red LED is a must!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:49 am:

John: as far as the LED's are concerned their available in both voltages. Others will chime in. Now for something you probably don't want to hear: Install them by all means but just don't expect anything to change as far as other drivers go. Personal experience talkin' here. I was glad to have them but no difference in the driving experience. You're still in the way. Outside my development the main road is posted 50. Norm is 60 or slightly better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Model A LED tail lights might be worth looking at, I have them on one of my T's. This car has distributor so I wired them direct to the ignition,if the key is on the tail lights are on. The current draw is very low

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Jay Leno recommends wireless turn signals, so I've ordered a kit for $30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:16 am:

in case you want a link
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1928-1931-Ford-Model-A-LED-Tail-Light,23473.html?s ku=91127002-R&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SMI%20-%20Shopping%20(CSE)%20(Bing)&utm_term=1100309974185&utm_content=Speedway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:23 am:

BTW John I had a policeman turn on his overheads when I used hand signals (Real Young Guy) and asked what my problem was... I was confused so I asked him why he thought I had a problem. He said I was trying to flag him down by waving my hand out the door. I explained the use of hand signals and he was still suspicious so I pulled out an old drivers manual and showed him, He said he had never heard of that before. Oh Well! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Yeah, that Leno segue to the turn signal portion with Clayton was a bit awkward to say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

Hey Donald, I'm leaning towards your suggestion with the Model "A" brake light, thank you. And Chris, how do you control the operation of a brake light if it's "wireless" ??? Talked to Don @ Lang's, he stated nothing available in the drum LED design as yet but forsee's it happening soon. By the younger generation not knowing hand signals puts us all (antique car owners) lives in jeopardy. It kinda forced us to put directional's and bigger/brighter brake lights on our cars. Just hate putting on that modern stuff on my 90+ year old antique cars !!! Again, sure do appreciate all your inputs on the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Yes John, they are available in a drum style light through Brattons (www.brattons.com). Mine are drum style tail/stop lights for 1928-29 commercial vehicles with the 6 volt negative ground LED lights you can order though Brattons as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

The hand signal thing is just another example of the dumming down of America. Why stop teaching new drivers to use them? What do you do if you have a bulb out? Truth is half the lazy assholes on the road today don't bother to use their directionals any way. It's inconvenient to reach for the directional signal when you're texting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Signals or no signals, there's no substitute for defensive driving!

Being told by the officer that you were in the right is small consolation after the accident. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

My aunt was killed when a dually rear ended my aunt and uncle in they're 1919 roadster . It's been 20 + years ago and they had clamp on extra lights
I live in Amish country so people here are used to swerving around slow vehicles as fast as they can so not to use up they're brakes and get to destination 15 seconds sooner

Be safe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Liked your posts Val, Mark and Dallas and you're all absolutely right. Kevin, checked out Bratton's LED set-up, little pricey but NICE !! I'll give em' a call tomarrow. Thanks to each'n everyone for responding.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration