Calling all Texans! Grand Proze Beer / Model T question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Calling all Texans! Grand Proze Beer / Model T question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:38 am:

In a move that was probably self evident to Texans of a certain age, I believe I have determined what the "Grand Prize" shield painted on the rear passenger door of George the touring car is;

A Grand Prize Pale Dry beer label! Grand Prize beer was brewed by the Gulf Brewing Company of Houston from 1935 to 1963.

A vintage Grand Prize beer tray

George's rear passenger door. "Grand Prize" lettering was originally blue.

So, now that I know what it is, the question becomes why? Does anyone from Texas recall seeing a Model T used in any Grand Prize beer advertisements? The car seems to have gotten a quick overall coat of black paint and then the Grand Prize label was hand painted on the door. This makes me think it may have been used in advertising some how.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Could it have been a salesman's car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:29 am:

My wife remembers Grand Prize sponsoring the Grand Prize Jamboree every Friday night at the old Houston City Auditorium for many years. She says she saw Elvis, a young Willy Nelson, Sonny James and many others perform at the events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Grad Prize beer was started by Howard Hughes in Houston. Among other things........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

There is quite a story about the beginnings of the cold lager beer in Houston, Texas and the history of the development of "artificial" ice making thus enabling lager beers as we know them today. Augustus Busch was on the scene but a Belgian brewmaster with his Southern Select beer won the Grand Prize in the competition in Germany and after prohibition became the brewmaster for Howard Hughes' Grand Prize Brewery.

See:

http://magnoliaballroom.com/louis-aulbach-history.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration