Starting cranks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starting cranks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Hi Guys,

I was working on my model A project and now it time to restore my early T coupe. It has been sitting in my garage since early this year. It was running last time i shut her down. Dropped in a charged up battery and only got one lazy crank. Thinking battery is shot I purchased a new one and charged it up. Now I raised up the rear end as you guys have recommended to others. Results - one lazy crank. The motor is free and hand cranks easily. Is this a starter issue?

Thanks for your guidance.

Manny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Could be a loose connection or corroded cables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Could be, but before you go down that road check your battery ground. A loose or corroded connection can do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Got fuel??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Clutch plates stuck together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Did the starter seem to get stuck after the single lazy crank, or was it more like when a battery is empty?
If the battery is good, you may have bad connections anywhere including the foot contact - sometimes they have to be taken apart for refreshing of the contacts.
If you get it to crank some more, you can feel where it gets warm - that's where you have the resistance.

It should be possible to start the car with the hand crank. Just be careful and crank only quarter turns where you lift the crank handle from 9 to 12 o clock, never crank after 12 - if it backfires you can break your arm in a nasty way.

I prefer to choke with the ignition off, pulling the choke with my left and cranking with my right.
Then I check so the ignition control under the steering wheel is fully up, the throttle a few notches down, ignition on and crank with my left hand until it starts. Then I adjust the ignition lever for best running.

When you get it to start easy, there's no need for any electric starter - you may fix it as a convenience, but not really necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Make sure "new" battery is good. I have got them and chased the problem only to find battery was bad from store. It was 1 month old from mfg date too. Make them load test it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Roger is right on! Only one of my cars has a starter and I never use it. Starters are highly overrated and sometimes problematic! Batteries even more so!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

thanks everyone!

it was a tight but corroded ground connection.

Started right up after cleaning it up.

Steve Jelf, lucky guess? :}

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration