New Coils Arrived! Thx Coilman!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New Coils Arrived! Thx Coilman!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

I am happy to report that it can now idol on magneto and shift into high gear at a lower speed and smoother every time!

Woo-hoo! This engine now purrs instead of coughing its way along.

I will post video from my glasses when I get home. Gassing up now. Trying 93 octane for the first time in the Model T. This is only my 3rd time to add fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Unless there are some additives in the fuel that are good for something else, that 93 is a waste in a T. You only have a 4 point something compression ratio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Agree with Hal. The 93 won't hurt, but it's a waste. I run fine on regular, which around here is (Gasp!) 10% ethanol.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

I agree that even my Z head won't make 93 octane very useful, but I'm eliminating the variables for this tankful because I'm soon going to set the timing.

Video file is uploading to YouTube now...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

https://youtu.be/rX1RTdOw7bc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Neat video! Did you have the camera strapped to your head?

Looks like the car is running pretty well, one suggestion would be to let the car rev up to a higher speed in low gear before you shift into high, that will further reduce and lugging or bucking that you have experienced in the past.

Looks like you're climbing the learning curve, congratulations, keep it up! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Thanks, Mark!

I'm taking it easy on the rods until I can tighten them up and add dippers. After all, Henry said it was possible to start off in High gear. I'm just giving it a little nudge in Low until I feel better about the rod lubrication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Starting out in "high" is a surefire way to join the "2 Piece Crank Club" ! After all, Ford was also in the business of selling new parts !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:27 am:

Agreed. My dippers should arrive soon. Once installed I will be take low up past 12 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Congrats on a better running T. Most folk think there's nothing wrong with their coils until they run a set of properly rebuilt ones. Now, get on that timing .... get rid of any slop on the lever/rod/timer and THEN set the timing correctly. Start with the spark lever retarded, not advanced ... and for Gods sake STOP at Stop signs. People who like rolling thru Stop signs are people who tend to have accidents thru life.

Enjoy!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Ha, Thx Garnie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:35 am:

...and to be even safer when STOPPING at STOP signs you should have a STOP light on the back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:52 am:

I presume that you know that the rod caps should be drilled when you use dippers so that the oil will go into the bearing? Otherwise the dippers will only splash oil up into the top of the engine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:55 am:

A video on preparation of rods and dippers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQt5GAdW7Xc&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5MCfkMh3Wc&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:04 am:

I suggest using the Model T transmission as it was designed, regardless of whether you are adding non-stock components like dippers.

As was already mentioned, lugging the car under load in high gear is a sure way of causing a crankshaft failure and it will have nothing to do with lubrication. It happens to stock T's and modified T's with some regularity, as reported on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Chris I was watching the video and I think I heard your foot hit the starter toward the end. That button can get "in the way" when first learning to drive, So I made a little cap that sits over the starter button on dowel pins when I teach My grand children how to drive. I don't know if it will actually damage anything but I don't want to chance it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Thank You

Maybe my tail lights will arrive today. I ordered the wireless lit that Jay Leno recommends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

And don't forget to lube the muffler bearing. Most people overlook that.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Garnet, that appears to be one of the original Flitz Dry Run Roller Bearings Henry used during the years America was involved in WW1. I've been told they're precision ground while after being immersed in pickle juice during the heat treat process. Ol' Henry had it together with his processes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Ha! Thx, Garnie!

That reminds me of my days in oilfield when they made me carry a 5 gallon bucket of water up the ladder to "water the crown." They called us newbies "worms" in the TX oil field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

I have to admit it's not my photo but I've posted it many times over the years. Original credit goes to Doug Gaspers who posted it back on 2006-01-28, about the time I joined this great Forum.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Notice the tweezers and rubber glove as befits handling such a complex and delicate device! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Chris,
You may have seen my post about starting on high gear. If so, Ford said it was possible with the six cylinder Model K. This was (still not advisable) due to the high torque and three explosions per revolution vs. two per rev with a four cylinder.

Also, the crank on a Model K has seven main bearings as opposed to three on a T (the crankshaft has a main bearing on each side of the rod journal).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Thx, Rob! My 11-12 mph shift point seems low.

I'm adjusting the rods today, and again when the dippers arrive. Hoping for a higher shift point soon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration