Rear axle truss support.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear axle truss support.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

I'm 18 years old and my first car is a 1919 Roadster. This car has the rear truss support accessory, my question is can I still put the SURE-STOP brakes on the car without removing the truss support? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

As we like to say around here, welcome to the affliction. I expect somebody who knows will be along to answer your question soon. Meanwhile, here's something you didn't ask for but are going to need: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Check out this past thread. It looks like you should have no problems.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/129976.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Jonathan, If you fit the brakes first, and then find you can't fit the truss rod, it really won't matter. On today's roads with today's use, a truss rod is not really necessary on the back axle of all but the earliest cars.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:45 am:

While I like the look of the axle truss on an early car and I understand that some of the early (read weaker) rear axles can benefit from the installation, I must ask: "How do you jack up the rear of the car with the truss rod in the way?" Special jack? Special fixture on a regular jack? Remove the truss rod? Pictures, please. Inquiring minds want to know. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:02 am:

It's not recommended to jack up an early car at the diff. Better to place the jack out near the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:10 am:

Yes, Gene I have read that. How do you put a jack under the outer end of the axle, near the backing plate with the truss rod clamp in the way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Bill

Likely depends on what style accessory truss rod you have. Many are beefy castings, wouldn't hesitate from lifting mine with a jack at the underside of this bracket. :-) If you have a flat tire, ya gotta lift it!

Here is another style on an original '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the pictures, they help me understand where or how one might place a jack to lift the car. I can see that with the style shown in the second and third photos, clamped to the axle tube, there is room to place the Ford jack under the outer casting and have a secure lifting point. The style shown in the first picture, clamped to the outer casting, gives me pause as I envision little contact between the underside of that clamp and the saddle of the Ford jack. Hmmmm. Thanks again for the pictures. Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration