Everyone has a model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Everyone has a model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I went to a car show in Pennsylvania
over the weekend and there was a guy
there with a 1924 Jewett. I told him
that it was the same year as my car
so he says "what do you have", I said
a Model T and then he said "everyone
has a model T". After I left the show
where there wasn't one model T I was
kicking myself for not saying "I don't
see one here" The Jewett was unrestored
and most likely very rare, nice car, nice
guy but he kind of bothered me with that
statement, know what I mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

Yep. Sounds like sour grapes to me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Well, you have to admit there are a lot of them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

His car lacked the Vanadium steel that has made our Model Ts last a hundred years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Everyone does have a Model T. When I take one of my T's to a show, people are constantly telling me that they know someone who had one just like mine, except it was yellow and had different wheels, and was a 1934, and was a Chevy or Dodge, etc. Otherwise it was a Model T just like mine! Just look at all of the parts listed on ebay, if they are old and rusty they are for a Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Nice guy? Don't sound like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Just look at the HCCA forum to see how much advice and spare parts are available for Jewetts.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen banks on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

The model T changed the world....more than that guy can say about the Jewett.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Amen Allen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

The only reason everyone has a model t is because no one can tell a T from an A or a Chevrolet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Ditto ditto ditto Jeff Hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

I don't have a T to impress anyone. I have one because I like it and find it interesting and fun. So what if there are a lot of them out there. The more the merrier. The interest and participation only improve the hobby. If you own an antique car or anything else because you need an ego stroke or you're trying to be the "big dog" then you're missing the point and a lot of relaxation. If you want to compete at something or impress people, take up a sport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Should have asked him if he did?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Side note: The Jewett summer estate is now a state park in Michigan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_River_State_Recreation_Area
The states's claim is that the Rifle River starts within the park, but it's not true. I can show you where it bubbles out of the ground, on 40 acres that was homesteaded by a young German who was sponsored to emigrate by my great-grandparents, and is now owned by cousins of mine. Here's Mom in 1950, watching some friends playing in the Rifle River a few hundred yards from it's origin, while Grandma and another gal look on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

And, when I go to the gas station someone asks,"What is that? a 48?" Your reaction and mine are similar to one I had one day when I was on an elevator. Some Asian people got on and I asked,"Are you from Japan?" They felt insulted. They were from Korea! Now if I do ask, I ask them where they come from without assumptions.

By the way, that man with the Jewett was wrong. Not everyone has a Model T. And some people think Model A's are Model T's and vice versa.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

I'm often amused when someone asks, "What year is it?". I respond, "1918". The look on their face often is one of disbelief. It's like they don't believe there were cars and trucks that long ago.

Sure, there are more Ts than Jewetts. So what? Chester's comment above is right on. I drive my TT because it was my grandfathers truck, it was the first thing I ever drove, and I enjoy it immensely. While it's fun to talk to people about the old truck and old cars in general, a sour grapes comment like the one made to Doug is best ignored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

I don't have "a" model T. I am the caretaker trying to preserve four of them. And proud of it!
I also have a Paige, the Jewett's sister automobile.
And if you want to find out about internet and club support for Jewett? Don't check out the HCCA. Don't even ask the Graham owners Club (don't ask me why unless you want to hear some real sour grapes, from ME!) Paige and Jewett are among the most under appreciated marques in automotive history. They have an amazing history rightfully theirs. There were literally hundreds of marques worthy of near anonymity. How many of them ever made the top ten automobile producers? Paige/Jewett was number nine once in the mid '20s.) How many of them were produced for more than fifteen years. How many of them never once in all those years were reorganized to avoid foreclosure, and returned a profit in all but the first three years and one year at the end of the WWI minor recession (the same year, that Henry Ford lost money).

You could check out the one real Paige website. But it is hardly ever updated, and has no active forum whatsoever.

You could try the Jewett website! I can even send the link to you!

Oh.
That's right.
The fellow running it died about four years ago and it finally shut down because NOBODY would take it over.

I like almost all antique automobiles! I do have a particular fondness for Paige and Jewett.
But I love model T Fords because they attract so many wonderful people and are a lot more fun!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

I don't see the comment as "sour grapes" at all.

Fords and Chevys are like axxholes, pretty much everyone has one !

Compared to Jewetts or Hudsons or Appersons, yer dammed straight, Model T's are as common
as dirt ! So what ? Why is anyone getting their panties all bunged up ? That poor bast*rd with the
Jewett is up Sh!t Creek without a paddle when it comes to parts and support. But he sure has a
seldom seen car !

I originally wanted some grand Sedan that was cut down into a truck in the 30's .... Cadillac, Lincoln,
Locomobile, .... but "settled" for a TT because the tech for T's is as easy to find as learning to make
bread. And parts are EVERYWHERE and CHEAP ! They are iconic, and nothing better exemplifies
the automobile/mobility revolution like the Model T.

I swear, some people go through life just looking for ways to have their feelings hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

On the practical side the Model T is a wonderful car to ENJOY. Replacement parts are for the most part easy to find and the support group is huge. I can and do appreciate other makes, but I can drive the T without worrying what I would do if a part wears out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Maybe, the Jewett owner was just misqouting one of my favorite lines; "Model Ts are fun. Everyone should own one."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

I would have responded "There's a good reason for that"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

A guy I know a few years ago wanted me to go look at a Model T he'd found in a barn with some old tractors. When I got there I couldn't believe that it really was a Model T. Most people think any old car is a Model T. Like countless people have told me my 47 Hudson is a Bonnie and Clyde car. I just let them go with it now. I've wasted too much time telling the story of Clyde Barrows Ford and that Model T spokes aren't oak. I wish I could get back to where that T was. I bet it's still there. Fenders, hood, engine, rear end, cowl and rotten wheels. A lot of good parts about 20 miles from me but you can't see it from the road and I can't remember the driveway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

-Doug, Burger, and everyone-
You guys have nailed it! When I started with E.F. Hutton on 'Black Monday' (Yup!) in 1987, there was another broker with an 'unfortunate ego'. The manager wanted newbie/me to include him to call upon a client. He wanted to drive, all the while extolling the 'enviable virtues' (expensive) features of his coveted, imported sports car... To quote him: "You've probably never ridden in something like this!" (I minded my manners.) When we got back to the office, he tried to remind me of 'how many looks we got'....
Calling him by name, I finally responded: "AXX... Just for the sake of comparison, how about you take your car, and I'll take the 'TT'. We'll drive together from the office through a loop downtown and back. Who do you think will get more 'looks'???" (The silence was deafening.)
We can find the 'belly-buttons' (more tactful) or 'aXX-holes' anywhere - Everyone's got one!
Whether we choose another color than black - or not; nickel or chrome - or not; everyone can be themselves! Aren't we the ones who will see our own vehicles and number the most 'looks'???
Enjoy! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Since I own three Model T's there must be 2 people out there WITHOUT a T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

I think my answer back would have been a very cold & dry "EVERYONE WHO MATTERS ANYWAY" as I kept walking...

I agree, there are some people in the hobby who look down their noses at the T's, but as far as I see we have more fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

That guy had a Jewett at the car show. Good on him. I am sure that if I had a Jewett at a car show it would be the only one too.

Next time take your T to the car show, and it will be good on you. Support our hobby - get the car out of the garage and share it with the public!

Here's my '10 at a car show two weeks ago - there were no Jewetts anywhere to be fund! The crowd really enjoyed seing it and talking about it. There were at least a hundred selfies taken with the car, and lots of kids got to sit in the seat and honk the horn too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

I agree, Royce!

I have had many folks tell me at car shows that they had never seen a "stock" Model T before, all they had seen were street rodded ones.

If kids are walking around the show with their parents, I usually ask the parents if they have a camera (who doesn't, these days, with smart phones?). When I tell them to have their kids climb in to my Model T so that they can take their picture, they can't believe it! The kids always get a big kick out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Tell him the Jewett didn't sell as well as the T, just like the Skoda and the Yugo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Yeah, good plan .... turn it into a pissing match in the spirit of promoting the hobby. You guys are awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

Right....because describing some guy's garage as "a great place to commit suicide or some psycho to kill young children to me" and referring to his car as "that turbocharged
plastic wankermobile" isn't starting a "pissing contest." No! Not at all!!! It's really the way to promote the hobby. That's really "awesome." Guess we can't all be that swell!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

I talked to a fella that owns a Lewis touring. A Lewis! It was sittin' right there in front of me, right across the road from the shores of beautiful lake Minnewarshtub!
Lake name changed slightly to protect the knucklehead/innocent (me/him). :-)
We was talkin' and I told him I have a "lowely model T" and he pipes back nicely, "I have a T, A '12 (or a '14-don't recall), as if to say I LIKE my little Ford. :-)
Huh... I have a model T and I sure AIN'T like everyone else and my wife would verify that!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

I've been fortunate to know folks with all sorts of rare, quality marquee's. Every one that I can think of among these people, has a Model T.

One very good friend has a 1913 Pierce, 1905 Columbia, and several other high end cars. Last winter, I had the good fortune to see he and his wife when I spoke at their tour. Their car on the tour? A 1911 Model T that he and his Dad had restored in the 1960's.

So, if someone says "everyone has a T," my suggestion is don't take offense. They probably do......

(Message edited by Rob on July 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Ron,

You seem like a smart enough guy. If I have to explain the difference here, you aren't
going to understand. Go polish your Porsche. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

I am at the north Georgia mountain moonshine car festival In Hiawassee Ga and it's started yesterday and I haven't seen a T at this show in 5 years that wasn't a cut up rat rod junk or fiberglass. I will find out and post some pic'm s when it's over but would be surprised if I see a T. Apparently the guy has no idea about T s and there history and the people that own them and why. Like Burger said let him go home and wash mini van. At least a model T is a desired vehicle buy lots of people, oh even Jay Leno and all of us. I think Jay buys what he thinks is cool....Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:34 am:

The year I got my T finished, I took it to our show. I say our show because Grandpa was a founding member and the first one was held on his farm. Western Illinois Threshers, first full weekend in August.

Now that I've gotten that little advertisement out of the way, back to my story...

We were trying to decide what we were going to take to Midwest Old Threshers. For those who've never been there, it's one of the biggest steam shows in the country. Always five days ending Labor Day.

Last one, I promise...

Grandpa asked if I wanted to bring my T to the show. I told him that I thought there were plenty of T's already at the show, and we should save the trailer space for another tractor. The car club up there that runs the car displays has several fine examples of Model T's in their car barn. I decided that if we took one of our rare or odd tractors it would make the show as a whole better. Besides, I didn't buy/build my car to show it off. I own a Model T because they're fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Kind of odd when you think about it,...... in some ways, Model T's made more sense back in the day, and in some ways, they still do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Does the Jewett have a transmission like a Model A? If so, use what I tell A people at a show when they say "I have a Model A".

"Even a girl can drive a Model A."

That will really p### them off.

It's a joke son. a joke. :-) Dan

By the way it works on women too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Being a member of the HCCA and having a nearly complete set of HCCA Gazette magazines, I can certainly see the charm and attraction of owning an obscure brass era car. The difficulty in finding and restoring one is certainly daunting (in other words, expensive), not to mention finding replacement parts if something breaks and can't be repaired.

They may not admit it, but some of them adapt Model T parts (disguised to various degrees) on their cars when they can't find original parts because of the ready availability and relatively low cost, features that we as Model T owners sometimes take for granted. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:28 am:

It has been my experience that antique car people are pretty much the same as everybody else. Most are nice and enjoy sharing whatever activity that they are involved with, and a few are jerks. I think that the comment in the original post was unnecessary - everybody does not have a model T. The street on which my house is located is about five miles long, and to the best of my knowledge, mine is the only T on the street:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I'll bet good money you'll find 25 Model T's in your area before you find a single Pope-Talbot or a Mercer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

I like my Model T's. They're fun. Most people have to ask me what kind of car they are. It's usually called a Model A. One kid asked me if it ran on steam. The touring car gets called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang more than I care to mention.

I've got three of them. I don't have enough time in my life or money to keep up with three of them but I like them so much I'll never give them up.

When I'm gone they'll probably go in a shed somewhere. That'll be my sons decision.

I've often thought I'd like to have an old 1910 Maxwell or 1910 Buick or a Curved Dash Oldsmobile or something similar because I'd like to someday be a part of the New Brighton to New London Tour but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. All the cars and motorcycles in that tour fascinate me.

I've met several people with "rare quality Marquee's" (sorry Rob, it just seems like a neat description for a bunch of old cars) and I gotta say most are really nice people.

If you think your old antique car is better than mine, it probably is. If you think you're more privileged than me, you probably are. If you think you're better than me in any way, that's your special vanity.

I'm going to keep working on my Model T's and try to keep them on the road. You should go ahead and drive your (enter rare model/make here) and hopefully we'll meet on down the road.

Have a glorious life!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Dan, don't forget to tell your Model A friends that their transmission is "a mechanical crime".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Garrison,

I pick up a strong sense of humility. Wonderful, isn't it ? Did you get that from Uncle Sam's
fighting forces experience or elsewhere ? Some people "get it". Others never will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Michael - I would also love to have an early Buick, but it is not financially realistic for me to aspire to that. I love my "improved car" T, and perhaps sometime in the future will add another earlier T to the collection. I'm a T guy and am happy with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

John, I know what you're saying. My T's are '22 touring, 25 speedster and '26 Tudor. They all run but I'm spending a lot of time working on them to make them better. It seems every two steps forward require a step and a half backward first. But between learning about them and working on them they're getting better and every once in awhile I can recognize a little improvement. They seem to fill my retirement to where I don't need too many other hobbies.

So, that's all well and fine but I hear what you're saying about wanting an earlier t. I don't think I'd be too excited about polishing brass but a brass t might be fun to own. Maybe if I win the lottery (I seldom buy a ticket) or marry a rich widow (there's a snowballs chance in hell) I'll look into an early brass t.

Burger, in my case ignorance is easily confused as humility. Pa always said "its better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." He used to say "Son, you might be stupid but, by gosh, you're ugly." He was always trying to get me to see the bright side of things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By King Martin on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Ehhhhh.....never heard of a Jewett.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Garrison,

Sounds like our Dads were twin sons of different mothers, or something .... went to different
schools together ???

When he was not beating on us, he was doing his best to make us feel worthless and small.
I hated it at the time, but the absurdity was not lost on me, and I embraced the humility early
and find that a blessing.

I love my TT .... the lowest of the low. Even lots of T guys consider them "unworthy" bastard
children of the T family. Not only are they of the lowest group of T's ... the BLACK years, but
what kind of mental urchin would want to plod around in one of THOSE ? Gotta be some in-bred
mental midget. And I am good with that, ... see, when I was a kid, exploring the surrounding
farms, fields, ravines, and barns, there were the occasional cars here and there, but there were
LOTS of trucks. And of all the trucks I found hiding amongst the hay, dust, and other old implements
the coolest of the lot were the old T flatbeds. They were the original farm trucks around my area
and nothing represented the pioneer farm families like the old Victorian houses and these early
farm trucks.

But if others place the old black TT farm trucks on the lowest rung of the cesspool ladder, well
that's just fine by me. There is a subtle serenity and peace to be found resting in the quiet back-
waters. Suits me just fine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:55 am:

Burger - I really don't consider the BLACK years to be what you call,...."the lowest group of T's". Nowadays, of the few ol' timers that are left that actually remember Model T's from back in the day, generally speaking, the ones they remember are the BLACK year Model T's. And this makes sense, because the BLACK years are the most recent years of the Model T era, and by far, the greatest number of T's built per year by far, were during the BLACK era, and accordingly, most of todays survivor T's are BLACK era T's. In fact, I believe 1923 and 1924 were the two highest production years of the whole Model T era. Also, I have read accounts of where during the first couple years of the BLACK era, some T owners that still owned and drove brass radiator T's actually painted their brass radiators black to "modernize them, because they felt that the brass radiators looked "old-fashioned". Hard to believe, huh? Anyway, FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:16 am:

There is another reason that "everyone has a T".

A few years ago, more than I will say. I was at Chickasha swap meet. It had rained all day, I mean poured like it only can at Chickasha and Hershey. Sitting in the swap meet field side by side when a T roadster and a Brush roadster. Time to crank them up and move them. The old T fired right up. The Brush on the other hand was cranked by everyone that would come by and still would not run. Meanwhile, the little T was sitting there running waiting for someone to drive it out of the rain. I was thinking that was the way it was 50 or 60 years ago too. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Harold,

Don't write that too loudly. Everyone knows the brass cars and the Improved cars
are vastly superior to own. Just because a few abject losers think they're OK doesn't
make it so ! :-)

There were no brass or Improved TT's. In the eyes of the hobby in the main, there is
no lower a T person can go than a hideous, slow, and otherwise awful old TT ! If that
weren't the case, EVERYONE would have one !!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Dan,
They were probably cranking the Brush the wrong direction!! (As a "safety feature" the brush runs counterclockwise so you can crank it with the right hand--true story!!) I drove a Brush some, and never found it hard to start--except the one time it kicked back because the retard-advance link came apart & I didn't know it!
BUT!!! I will admit the model T will climb a grade you have to push the Brush up (been there, done that!) In the Brush's favor are the few parts in the engine! Less cylinder, less parts! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

I'm new to the hobby but I would have never thought that the TTs were the bastard children of Model Ts. I think the trucks are so cool, they certainly aren't hideous and awful, your crazy Burger. I wish I could have found one before I bought mine but I'm not complaining

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Damn right everyone has a Model T! At least all of us beautiful people do! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Anyone can own a Jewett - just write the check.

But to own a T is to love them.

And T owners not only have a T - but as far as T-FRIENDS go ......EVERYBODY has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

The guy who said that is a lamebrain.
If everyone had a Model T you'd see more of them at shows.
This is a fairly rural area and if you've been to one show you've been to all of them, pretty much........the only T I've ever seen at a "regular" car show was mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Yeah, the guys got a lot of nerve. Doug, what was the guys name? Where does he live? Maybe a bunch of us ought to get together and pay the idiot a visit. Somebody grab a rope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Grab a rope?? Does the Jewitt need a tow??

Heh heh heh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 03:30 am:

FYI (as if anyone here wonders about it?)

The Jewett web site is back up!!!!! I looked last night through the link still in my bookmarks, and it is back! Somebody has rescued it. It is not nearly fully functional yet (only the new home page and a few header pages for internal links), but it appears to be coming back at its old address.

Dan Hatch, I had to laugh at your "shifting" comment! My '27 Paige 6-45 was supposed to be the Jewett model for 1927 until a marketing decision late in 1926 dropped the Jewett name. My car was retired in 1947 due to a transmission failure which resulted from the original owner misadjusting the clutch. The maladjustment also destroyed the throw-out bearing.
I searched for almost fifteen years before I lucked into a transmission to replace the damaged transmission pieces. But I still needed a good throw-out bearing. Remember, my '27 Paige was manufactured about ten months before the first new model A Fords were. After some research, and following a hunch. I discovered that a standard model A Ford throw-out bearing was an EXACT match and fit. Went down to my (then) local model A/T/V8 parts supplier and bought my new throw-out bearing for my Paige.
Who would have thought.
I like the Paige and Jewett history. I like their cars, a lot. But I never want to not have a model T (or a few of them) again. Besides. Model T people are the best of the best!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:02 am:

I have a very nice C Cab TT, love it and yes it is slow but it does have a Muncie which helps. I also have a closed cab but not together yet. I also have many other T cars and Model A Fords. Whatever fires your rockets, to each his own. 😊

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:59 am:

You'll never be trendy with that kind of independent attitude, Mister !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration