Original or new bearing???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Original or new bearing???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Finished front bearings, replaced as needed. Pulled outer rear bearings in my 26 roadster. Bearings both are within specs. One has pretty deep pits on the rollers.
Are the original style new bearings any good ? Langs book says not recommended for outer bearing.
Are the modern outer bearings worth the money ? Any thoughts or experience on the subject. I pulled extra rear end apart Hoping for a good bearing but no luck.
Need to order parts but I've learned to check with the experts 1st

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Dallas, if I were you I would find better original Hyatt bearings and use new sleeves. The new bearings are not as good as the old ones. If the rear axle has not been rebuild and judging from the fact that the outer bearings are damaged it probably was not I would pull the rear axle and rebuild it. Pretty much every model T rear end that has not be rebuild is pretty much shot and it's better to find out now than when your driving the car.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

I have the modern bearings inside and outside. Since then I've put probably 7,500 miles on the car. I just pulled the rear apart and there is zero wear on my new axles, they're just slightly more shiny where the seals run. Also, with the modern bearings inside, there is very little oil loss from the differential, I barely had anything at all in the tubes. I'll wear out my bronze thrust washers before I have to replace these bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Here is a possible source for good used Hyatt bearings:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/648944.html?1465351272

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Can someone supply a link to measurements of good versus bad? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Glen Chaffin book on rebuilding rear axle
0.500 one or two thousands wear is acceptable
Pg 24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Thanks Mark
I sent him a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

As I understand it the original bearings are actually a spring. The modern ones are solid and wear quicker from what I have been told.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

In reference to the fourth post, I did end up purchasing three exceptional Ford script Hyatt bearings from Andy. All three measured .0498 at both ends with tight cages, no pits and no rust. Andy is a great person to deal with and has what I consider reasonable prices. I also purchased a pair of axle gears that had barely a thousandth wear on the thrust as well as the shoulder surface. Best of all there were no surprises when I opened the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

I contacted Andy, super nice guy. He had a bearing for me. Thanks guys. I'm still amazed at what Internet can do. Years ago a guy had to go to shows and cruise ins and swap meets to get any info like this. It took months or years to get it. Thanks again!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

I recently bought two original axle shafts from Andy. Both were perfect with no wear, good threads, taper and key seats. I try to buy as many of my parts from him as possible because not everybody checks if parts are good before they send them.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Usually the two inner bearings are a good bet, without even measuring them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration