Camshaft - grind or not?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Camshaft - grind or not?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I am putting in double nut adjustable lifters and I'm wondering if it is really necessary to send the cam off for a regrind? The car will be a local to show/coffee car for in town use. Local model A guys say NO... just set each valve with the new lifter and it will be 100%.

Thoughts?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in Katy Texas on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Take a caliper to each lobe and measure. You'll soon see if it needs grinding.

Mine did have various measurements on the lobes, so it was a candidate for a regrind. Now at least I know all lobes are identical.

All the best,
Justin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

I never use reground cams. The cam controls the engine's breathing. This is no place for a shortcut. I'm a firm believer in the merits of the Stipe .280 cam. The Chaffin's .280 is also a good bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

check lobes as stated already if they are all but equal just set he valve clearance intake at .012 and exhaust at .014 she run just fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Had a '27 that ran good but couldn't get a smooth idle. Put in a reground cam from Ford-N-More and problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Ford did not grind precision cams in the day. That is why they used the piston position system for adjustment in order to get an average lift on all four. Get a modern cam and forget the smoke and mirrors.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration