1913 Pin stripes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1913 Pin stripes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Does a 13 have pin stripes on the wheels? I have been studying all I can find all the original cars I have found have stripes on the body only. What are your guy"s thoughts on that? My car is around 225000 in terms of a serial number and I striped stripes off the body when I painted it in 2004 and there was nothing on the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 05:50 am:

In Bruce W. McAlley's encyclopedia he says this about striping in 1913:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1913H.htm

"A factory list, issued in December 1913, showed the following colors:
(---)
F-117 French gray for striping wheels
(---)
Striping (in French gray) appeared on some of the early 1913 production but was apparently discontinued early in the year."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:47 am:

From 2010:

"I had posted this last year regarding wheel pin striping:

ALSO: To add to the discussion, I just got hold of a copy of the April 1913 "Ford Times" that has an article on wheels that states: "Dried and enamel firmly set they progress into another branch of this department where they are striped. Here a large force of men does nothing all day long but paint the little thin lines around the outside of the wheel and up and down each spoke. Each one of these stripe painters can decorate 400 or more wheels a day. With the factory production running 1000 cars per day, and four wheels to the car, a simple problem in mathematics will show how many men must be employed to paint stripes on wheels."'"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Body striping was eliminated by the end of calendar year 1912, but the wheels continued to be striped way into 1913. The spokes were pretty standard with the V shape stripe, but it appears some of the felloes had a single stripe, and some may have had a double stripe. I don't personally care for the dot on the hub bolts, but I guess they really did do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Larry... How far into 1913 is "way into 13"?? Would my June car have stripes on the wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

This '13 has striped wheels but no other striping visible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

...and has combination low beam and high beam headlamps...

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Keith that's interesting 'cause my 13's headlights are exactly the same and that's what I call them too! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration