De-rusting with Vinegar...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: De-rusting with Vinegar...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 02:20 am:

This is the first time I have tried soaking rusty items in Vinegar, and I am impressed. It's cheap, safe, and isn't too aggressive. This tool soaked for 20 hours and then a quick scrub with a wire brush, and it's clear of rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 06:50 am:

HEY, Where'd you find my external callipers...oh, never mind mine are in my tool box and still rusty :-) I may have to try that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:28 am:

Great remedy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:29 am:

Be careful putting engine blocks in it as it strips the carbon out and leave the block unusable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:29 am:

At the suggestion of another forum, I filled an original radiator with white vinegar - left it overnight (12-14 hours) and flushed out far more crud than I'd expected was in there. It ran much cooler afterward. I had also been warned not to leave it too long as the vinegar would find holes in the core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Molasses is safer on the metal but it takes a lot longer. Mix with about 8 parts water to 1 part molasses. I have derusted almost an entire 24 Touring with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

I've used feed grade molasses from Fleet Farm with water to de-rust a few things.

Note that it can cause "cratering" of cast iron or make existing cratering from the rust worse. Not sure if it will do the same thing to sheet metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

I'm impatient, I use electrolysis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

Wow. That be worth doing on small stuff and easy. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:06 am:

How do you setup an electrolysis treatment for a car part?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:06 am:

Chris, Check out youtube. Basically you use water, washing soda, and a battery charger. I'm thinking vinegar is easier but have to confess that I haven't tried electrolysis yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:20 am:

If you do electrolysis only use re bar, sheet metal or such, no stainless or chromium type metals for electrodes as you will produce toxic chemicals. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:45 am:

My neighbor uses a five gallon bucket set up for electrolysis for small tools. I had a crab tote that was the wrong shape for many T parts. picked up a plastic watering tank that many T parts will fit into. Between a sand blast attachment for my power washer, a shop oven, bead blast, and a large electrolysis tank just about any part of a T can be cleaned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Don't derust any suspension or steering parts except by mechanical means. Otherwise you run the risk of hydrogen embrittlement.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration