Ok to place floor jack under center of front axle?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ok to place floor jack under center of front axle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Porsches have very few, and specific jacking points. This Model T is even lighter, so I'm wary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

It has always been my understanding that the center of the front axle is fine. There are two schools on the rear axle - one says that you should never jack it at the center of the axle (i.e. under the "pumpkin") and the other school says it doesn't matter and "I do it all the time."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

Chris,

Others will say not to jack it up the middle. I've always done that way, and my father before me. Have yet to bend one.

I jack the rear axle at the center also. But, my cars are 1921 & newer. I would not jack a 12 rivet rear end or earlier at the middle. (Your car does not have a 12 rivet rear end and should be fine to jack in the middle, though again, others will say not to.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Thank You

Model T Rods

1. Chock both rear wheels

2. Raise front until oil runs back into hogs head

3. Disconnect battery

4. Loosen bottom inspection pan bolts and let oil drain from dips

5. Remove inspection pan and complain about the mess. Take a picture & a Sip of cold beer, and go post comments about how loose the rod caps feel

6. Find 5/8 socket with elbow, cotter pins, and cotter pin removal tool

7. Note one file mark on rod cap #1, facing cam. Remove and adjust one rod cap at a time. If no shims are left, decide whether to file cap or order new rods, or both. Be sure there's enough babbitt material left not to damage crank.

8. Remove enough shims for rod not to slide forward and back without help from a tool.

9. Call yourself a tool for not ordering new rods yet.

10. Tighten & reinstall cotter pins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Always look at the babbit on the bottom of the rod above the crankshaft. It wears out faster than the cap. If it's cracked or worn through, you need to re-babbit.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Also, find a 9/16" socket.

An ideal clearance should be .0010/.0015. At that clearance, rods will move fore & aft. Fore & aft is no test of rod clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

If you tighten the rod cap down on a piece of newsprint and find it tight, then remove the newsprint and it now moves back and forth, you've got it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Answer to the original question: It's probably OK, but why take the chance that it isn't? Better safe than maybe bent. Same deal for the rear. Under the pumpkin is probably OK, but why gamble?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

I think you better finish numbers 11, 12 and 13. Put the pan back on, reconnect the battery and put oil back in. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Back to the original question. Don't crawl under the car when it's on the jack. You should put jack stands under each end of the axle near the wheel. With a hydrolic jack, it's very easy to jack up one end at a time. I personally don't place the jack in the center. Only takes a minute or two to jack up one wheel at a time.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Steve, I hope you do what the label on the jack says, and wear your safety goggles when you raise the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Jack

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration